Fitting two NEFF ovens in ply carcass - advise me please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've almost built all of my carcasses out of pre-lacquered birch ply. Now I need to build the tall unit for the two NEFF ovens; a standard sized single and a 45cm compact microwave combination oven using the Neff Z11SZ90X0 trim kit. There will be two Blum Antaro drawers beneath the ovens.

I want the ovens to sit between the ply, not overlap the face as all my drawer fronts will be sitting between the ply uprights.

So I assume I'll have to batten out inside the carcass.

I've never done this before so I'm not sure at the moment how the ovens get secured to the carcass and I don't yet have the ovens in situ.

Are there any tips or pitfalls to avoid? Any photos would be awesome!

Cheers
Dave

most ovens sit on a shelf and are screwed through the front into the cabinet face
so I guess you will just need to make them 636mm instead of 600mm and put some plywood slats set back inside to screw to

someone else will be along soon...dont go build them on my say so :-(

Steve

Hi - I'm afraid that I'm finding it difficult to visualise the detail of what you're trying to do. It's a couple of years since I did our single Neff oven, but as I remember, the instructions were very clear on how to install - I don't remember it being arduous (my carcase was floor-varnished 18mm spruce ply with an ash face-frame, with separate pan drawers underneath). I expect that the microwave may be more demanding as it will perhaps need ventilation and clearances at back and maybe sides. The important get-rights for me were placement of electrical connections and switches, plus adequate cable lengths to enable easy slide in/out of the unit. Cheers, W2S

SteveF":1matqp0u said:
most ovens sit on a shelf and are screwed through the front into the cabinet face
so I guess you will just need to make them 636mm instead of 600mm and put some plywood slats set back inside to screw to

Steve

That would have been my guess, without seeing the neff install drawings.

Either make your carcase 600mm and clad the outside with seom side cheeks, or make your carcase 636mm and put some vertical strips in for the oven front to lip over.

Dont forget to make the top bottom and shelves the minimum depth of the oven so that you allow full ventilation vertically behind.

or
make cabinet as usual and notch the sides where oven \ microwave sits so they sit back distance of thickness fronts of appliances
it would only need to be stanard 600 and rest of unit would then look correct

all assuming you have enough depth behind oven

Steve

Woody2Shoes":2cvphtu5 said:
Hi - I'm afraid that I'm finding it difficult to visualise the detail of what you're trying to do.

If it helps, this is the look I'm going for with the oven & drawer front set back so they finish flush with the ply side of the carcass; and the width of the drawer front will be the same as the oven. The Neff Z11SZ90X0 trim kit has a metal shelf to put between the two ovens so presumably the top oven sits on that.

9e836d451ac669b571ae707c68587dfb.jpg

SteveF":2cvphtu5 said:

Steve

So does part of the front trim come off to reveal fixing points to screw in to the sides of the carcass?

Thanks for the comments so far and the reminder to leave the backs off behind the oven for ventilation.
:-D

Probably too late now but to get that look you want I would've just made standard size carcases and then put strips of plywood in between each carcase.

Regarding the Neff ovens they're very straight forward. You remove the side panels by taking off 4 torx screws ,this reveals two holes for fixing screws. The extra joining trims replace the standard covers to make the two ovens look as one

Here's some I did last week

1f030fbb72538ae5fc836ac92fd3d532.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

My built in oven has screw holes revealed by opening the doors and its screwed to soft wood battens.

Pete

chippy1970":1eoir7uf said:
Probably too late now but to get that look you want I would've just made standard size carcases and then put strips of plywood in between each carcase.

Regarding the Neff ovens they're very straight forward. You remove the side panels by taking off 4 torx screws ,this reveals two holes for fixing screws. The extra joining trims replace the standard covers to make the two ovens look as one

Thanks Chippy, that's really helpful. (By the way, I pity the poor pipper that has to paint around those units! ;))

I've made standard sized carcasses but the base and top ledger are set back 18mm so the drawer fronts will sit flush. I thought about plywood strips but I didn't have enough space on the main run of units. The only compromise is that the drawer fronts on the cooker unit will be wider than the others.

Thanks everyone.

scubadoo":1olijejm said:
chippy1970":1olijejm said:

Thanks Chippy, that's really helpful. (By the way, I pity the poor pipper that has to paint around those units! ;))

Tell me about it, this was for a builder who's extended and refurbed the whole house but the client was going to organise the painting. If it was me I would've painted everything before fitting the kitchen.

Lots of gadgets on this one two slide away door ovens, combi oven, coffee machine, Franke 3 in 1 boiling tap, downdraught extractor, induction hob, etc etc etc.

chippy1970":2d0os3mr said:
If it was me I would've painted everything before fitting the kitchen.

Nah, I reckon those ovens will look great with lots ofpaint spots on them ;).

They look like the exact ovens that I've just had delivered. Did you use the trim kit that has the metal shelf between the ovens? If so, does tha metal shelf take the load of the top oven?

Cheers
Dave

No dave all 4 machines are separate just sitting on chipboard shelves. You can get metal joint strips to cover the chipboard shelf but they weren't supplied. They look fine as is

chippy1970":39fiq39k said:
No dave all 4 machines are separate just sitting on chipboard shelves. You can get metal joint strips to cover the chipboard shelf but they weren't supplied. They look fine as is

Thanks Chippy.

I bought the trim kit mostly because i thought having the side trims in one piece looked nicer. I haven't unpacked it yet but if you've used one before, is the metal dividing shelf supposed to sit on/cover a ply/chipboard shelf or is the metal shelf designed to support the oven?

Thanks again.
Dave

scubadoo":3jye2rh5 said:
chippy1970":3jye2rh5 said:

Thanks Chippy.

I bought the trim kit mostly because i thought having the side trims in one piece looked nicer. I haven't unpacked it yet but if you've used one before, is the metal dividing shelf supposed to sit on/cover a ply/chipboard shelf or is the metal shelf designed to support the oven?

Thanks again.
Dave
Sorry Dave I've not used the joining pieces just saw them in the oven instructions. I didn't see anything about the metal shelves but I'm sure it'll all be straight forward when you get it

Latest posts

Back