Fitted shelving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuster

Established Member
Reaction score
I've posted this on the screwfix forum so apologies to any of you that have also read it there.
I'm wondering what method others use when making fitted shelving. I've had several jobs recently filling large alcoves or entire walls with painted mdf fitted shelving. For smaller jobs, no problem - I just make up as one unit, using biscuits and screws to put together, and a groove for the back panel, which I then screw into the backs of the shelves. I then put it on adjustable feet and fill in all around with scribed fillets to take account of uneven/out of square walls etc.
Problem I'm finding is when the job gets too big to make up as one unit. I've tried several ways of putting them together as I work my way across, but all have disadvantages (eg can't screw back panel to backs of shelves/can't pull separate parts together well enough creating gaps etc.) I've got a 6metre long wall with a sloping ceiling to shelve and thought I'd look for some ideas outside of my own, none of which I like much.
Thanks for any ideas you may have.

I don't see why you can't just make up 600 - 1000 mm units on adjustable kitchen unit feet, as you have been doing. Any wider and MDF shelves are going to sag badly. You can get a unified look by making up a face frame (pocket screws?) out of timber or MDF.

I made single units and screwed them together and covered the face with fillets. Only problem was I didn't take account of the floor and had to pack it all out and scribe a face board to cover it all up.

What were the adjustable feet you used?

Without wishing to offend anyone who is actually good at this stuff - I mainly watch from the back in awe most days - you may get some ideas from the various storage designs IKEA have (or even those from their old catalogs).

Theirs usually rely on hex-headed screws or cam-based fixings but the designs themselves are usually quite neat and efficient.

Latest posts

Back