fitted bedroom furniture from MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deannos

Reaction score
Hi, i'm not quite a complete noob at woodworking having finished some small projects,i.e bookcases etc. But what i want to do is build some furniture for my daughters bedroom which is the small box room. We had a look around B&Q and they wanted nearly £2000 for a single size wardrobe and a run of overhead storage. I stupidly said to the OH that i could do that and cheaper :oops: . I wish to use MDF because it will be easier for me and it will have a painted finish. Now would i be right in thinking that 20mm would be up to the job for everything and using the pocket method for the joins etc. Is this the way to go :?:

Dean

Dean,

Mdf is available in 3,4,6,9,12,15,18,22,25 plus a few more unless you like having a hernia, 18mm will be more than adequate for your wardrobes.

Pocket hole joinery in MDF is deprecated as being a weak form of joinery. Carcase screws seem to be a better bet or if you are of the tool buying sort, a Festool Domino is the bee's knees. Not so long ago we mostly used biscuit joiners for this sort of thing and given the popularity of the Festool, you can probably find second hand biscuit joiners going pretty cheap!

Pocket hole screws are fine for holding whilst the glue goes off but like Chris says you need something like a biscuit / domino / dowel for location. From your description you could use through dowels avoiding having to purchase a jig.

SHMBO tool economics....they've seen the price to buy, you could make for a few hundred in material, buy the Festool Domino as the right tool for the job and still save over £1000....

Also there are people out there who'll sell you the mdf cut to order and edged for a small premium - I used Wrights Carpentry Uxbridge way - they may deliver out to Luton.

Latest posts

Back