First table saw, fence problems...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a table saw after seeing a few people recommend the range on here. I was informed that the model had been upgraded and replaced and they were awaiting new stock. After waiting a while I have managed to purchase one however it looks completely different from it's predecessor. The main problem I'm having is with the fence. I'm not sure if this is normal which is why I'm asking on here!

After assembling the saw I can't seem to get the fence to stay parallel on the rails. There is easily 2" movement between the 2 sides. If I want to use the saw how it is I'm going to have to buy a big set square to make sure the fence sits parallel to the blade. I have tried adjusting the fence and nothing seems to work. I have never owned a table saw before but on videos I've seen people just slide the fence along and it remains solid even on cheap saws. Am I missing something?

Mike.C":11tol03s said:
Hi Tombo which table saw is it?

Cheers

Mike
Ello Mike. I know it's of very little help but I don't want to name the brand publically as it previously has a very good reputation, as does the firm I bought it from. I don't want to tarnish their name and product if it's either my fault or just teething problems with it being a new model.

The supplier would be my first port of call but I've not had a reply yet and I really needed to get cracking sith some work this weekend and if it's just a common newbie error I've made I can fix it!

Is it normal to have to align the fence every time i use it though?

Tombo46":etcj0vas said:
No, I would have thought that would be obvious.

Without any clues about the model, not even a photo, it's impossible to help much.

Tombo46":3cfgbt3r said:
Mike.C":3cfgbt3r said:

Cheers

Mike
Ello Mike. I know it's of very little help but I don't want to name the brand publically as it previously has a very good reputation, as does the firm I bought it from. I don't want to tarnish their name and product if it's either my fault or just teething problems with it being a new model.

The supplier would be my first port of call but I've not had a reply yet and I really needed to get cracking sith some work this weekend and if it's just a common newbie error I've made I can fix it!

Tombo I do not think publically naming the machine is going to tarnish the brand as if the product is at fault we all realise that even the best companies can slip up.
On the other hand if there is a major fault you maybe saving others from wasting their money which is part of what UKWorkshop is all about and why members do tool reviews.

You say that a few members recommended the previous model. Well you maybe better off sending one or two of them a pm and asking what they think.

All I can say is that it certainly is not normal having to align the fence every time you use it.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":t3sv0rg0 said:
Tombo46":t3sv0rg0 said:
Mike.C":t3sv0rg0 said:

Cheers

Mike

Tombo I do not think publically naming the machine is going to tarnish the brand as if the product is at fault we all realise that even the best companies can slip up.
On the other hand if there is a major fault you maybe saving others from wasting their money which is part of what UKWorkshop is all about and why members do tool reviews.

You say that a few members recommended the previous model. Well you maybe better off sending one or two of them a pm and asking what they think.

All I can say is that it certainly is not normal having to align the fence every time you use it.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike. Now I know it's not normal I'll take a proper look at it again. I've probably cocked up somewhere but if I haven't then I'll give the supplier a shout. I have no doubts that they will make it right anyway. I'm still not comfortable naming them etc though. Maybe it's because I own my own business haha.

Thanks for the help!

I find the sign of a good company is not necessarily one that never makes a mistake (or bad table saw fence), its one that deals with its mistakes (or bad table saw fence) in a satisfactory manner. Can't see a problem to tell us who you're dealing with, if they sort it, tell us, if they don't, also tell us, it works both ways and both results are useful to know. As mike says, we're all here to help and be helped.

Mark

The Bear":198aiuis said:
As mike says, we're all here to help and be helped.
Absolutely.
The key to that on internet forums is to ensure you provide enough information for people to help.
It could just be a simple mis-assembly error that others might spot immediately and help you on your way, or they might spot that something is missing or broken.

The Bear":2wfafavx said:
I find the sign of a good company is not necessarily one that never makes a mistake (or bad table saw fence), its one that deals with its mistakes (or bad table saw fence) in a satisfactory manner. Can't see a problem to tell us who you're dealing with, if they sort it, tell us, if they don't, also tell us, it works both ways and both results are useful to know. As mike says, we're all here to help and be helped. Mark

That is 100% spot on!

I also run my own company and would have no problems being named if there was a problem - Now - if I didn't sort it, then that's a different matter.

The mettle of a company is how it deals with the inevitable problems it encounters. Sort out a problem quickly and effectively and you'll have that customer for life - it's called good customer service.

If there are quality or design faults with a product, the company will want to know.

Bob

I bought a ryobi table saw which I ended up giving away as it didn't cut the mustard. If I tried to cut oak on it the carrier which held the motor / blade in place would distort causing the blade to run out of parallel with the fence. This would result in either binding or if I put the fence on the other side it would pull the wood off the fence. This was with a new sharp blade.

I did contact the company and received no satisfactory response. I no longer look at ryobi when considering a purchase.

'Sue'

You might even find that the seller/manufacturer monitors forums like this and will be willing to show that they are quick to respond if you name them. If they don't then they deserve naming and shaming.

They will survive you mentioning their name, you've spent good money and deserve the product to work, whatever the problem is. Sounds like it's an assembly fault on your part or theres a bit missing. Impossible to say without pictures.

Just read this post and I have an Erbauer - I have the same problem as you Tombo46, I have align then fence every time I use it. I will be interested in knowing how you fix yours?

I understand you not wanting to put a model on here, but I don't feel bad about doing so as I am questioning my knowledge not the quality of the product. Regards, Jinx

if you can find a sub £500 saw, the remaining budget will buy the steel to make a beismeier type fence which will be accurate. There are numerous plans online, and there was a back issue of fine woodworking which had an example using a toggle clamp, and some brief plans- I believe that this is also on one of Steve Maskery's DVDs. The FWW issue was #190 I think. The combination of this one and one from "supercooltools" (I think) would make you a fence as good as anything available.

I bought an 01332 itech table saw off scott and sargent among the many faults was the fence, which moved towards the blade no matter how carefully you tightened the lever. and s&s were not in the slightest bit interested..

Now replaced with axminsters aw10bsb2 it looks v,simular but is countrty miles ahead quality wise

Back