First kitchen build and I have a few questions!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, again.

I've started building the carcasses this week. I did one for the workshop as a practice run to sort out any potential problems and get a better idea of the order or working. So far it's going really well and I'm loving the combination of the Domino 500 and the Kreg K5.

I have another question for you.....

Where do i position the plinth feet? Because the base is butting up against the vertical, should the feet run right to the edge of the cabinet so that it's supporting the side panel as well? I know that I have about 5 dominos and 5 or 6 pocket screws fixing the base to the side so it should all be nicely fixed but it just seems that a lot of load would be going down through the verticals.

I'm using these feet from Hafele with the 100mm shaft.
http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/kitchen- ... 37018/8021

Thanks Dave

chippy1970":76j02sks said:
You could use a batten like you say or have a look at space plugs. They sell them online or in toolstation and screwfix

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Space plugs space plugs space plugs. Get them in your life. Great for kitchen fitting and other bits and bobs. No need for the side panels of the cabinet to go all the way back then and no need to scribe around pipe work/electrics or the actual wall.

I run a rebate into the sides and top/bottom the. Pin a 9mm back in to this

Happy days

I put my feet under the sides as well, just a few mm clearance to avoid them getting in the way of anything.

The space plugs look interesting, although you must lose quite a lot of depth. I use the nailer right at the back that holds the back panel in place to attach to the wall, and if the wall is not straight, I might shim it, or just not overtighten. Never had a problem so far, and get full depth.

Re. finishes for Birch ply; I generally use Junckers Strong satin lacquer - quick drying, easy to apply with a foam roller, durable finish and doesn't darken the wood too much.

HTH, Peter

Aquacoat SP is a water based flooring varnish which I used when finishing my kitchen doors and carcasses. Dries in 2h and doesn't yellow over time. I used a paint pad with no streaking or drips.

MrYorke":hy791sb3 said:
chippy1970":hy791sb3 said:
You could use a batten like you say or have a look at space plugs. They sell them online or in toolstation and screwfix

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Space plugs space plugs space plugs. Get them in your life. Great for kitchen fitting and other bits and bobs. No need for the side panels of the cabinet to go all the way back then and no need to scribe around pipe work/electrics or the actual wall.

I run a rebate into the sides and top/bottom the. Pin a 9mm back in to this

Happy days

As my cabinet backs are flush, if i used space plugs there would be a gap of 50mm or so between the cabinet back and the wall. Is this ok in terms of fitting the granite/silestone worktop? Shouldn't it have a batten or protruding sides to rest on/support it.

This is what the cabinet backs look like. And a couple of other photos of where I am so far.

Hi. I’m glad I stumbled upon this post. I am also in the process of a similar. Bb with exposed edges.
Can you post some pictures of your completed kitchen?
Also do you have any tips on the build?

Hoping to bug you with more questions as I build my kitchen.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back