First butterfly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw my first bright yellow one a couple of days ago (brimstone?). But I've actually seen a few (red-admiral-ish), plus caterpillars over the past few months, plus bumble-bees. Apart from the rain, this is the mildest winter I think I can remember and it's left a lot of very confused bits of wildlife.

Oh Lordie....that reminds me ...must get up the protection before the little sh*tters aka swallows take up their annual Des Res in our outbuilding. I love them to bits but why must they evacuate their bowels just before they go into the nest ? :( There's the garden and fields aplenty for that.

You're about a week behind. Talking to a neighbour last week two cabbage whites flitting about in the chilly wind.

Just as a point of interest, the premises opposite has a buddleia bush which attracts all types of butterflies. It can be blowing a gale & the butterflies carry on as if there is no wind at all, even flying straight into it without it seeming to have any effect on their flight. Marvellous how something so fragile can overcome something so fierce.

My favourite blackbird is about again. We have a whistling contest using the first five notes of Whistling Jack Smith's "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" .

Back