Fire Wood Bound Holly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickymint

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had some great fun turning this seasoned Holly. It was uninspiring from the outside, but 5 mins on the band saw found not only knarly bits but spalting as well :D .

DickyMint-HollyVase4Apr06.jpg

The Wall thickness is 5mm, I couldn't get it any thinner due to the Bark inclusion.

DickyMint-HollyVase5Apr06.jpg

Finish is Liberon Sanding Sealer & Danish oil.

DickyMint-HollyVase2Apr06.jpg

Dicky Mint.

Nice one. If you get loose or soft bark that you would rather keep attached try soaking it in sanding sealer or Low Viscosity CA Glue.

Hi CHJ, soak as in dip or just be generious with coating on the bark?

CA glue is superglue?

Thanks, Richard.

Dickymint":idoeh6oy said:
Hi CHJ, soak as in dip or just be generious with coating on the bark?

CA glue is superglue?

Thanks, Richard.

Just be generous with thinned sealer so that it soaks in soft bark, maybe more than one application whilst it is still wet.

Same with (CA) SuperGlue, use Low Viscosity version.

If you have large voids that you want to fill try filling with sanding dust mixed with sanding sealer, superglue or good old Clear UHU.

Whatever you do, do not be tempted to spin the piece whilst CA is still wet, you don't want it in your face.

You may need to dress it down locally before continuing sanding as it dries very hard compared to the wood.

I keep a selection of fine sanding dust of varying colours just for this purpose, to fill cracks and small voids.

Latest posts

Back