Fire surround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got to make a fire surround for a friend tomorrow and have been given artistic licence on the design . The house is victorian but not on a grand scale .
I just wondered what you guys could come up with if your bored and want to play :D
He liked this one
http://www.englishfireplaces.co.uk/wooden-fireplace.asp
But i think its a little ugly , anyone want to play ? :lol:

I made a nice one a few years back and I turned a fluted column on the lathe and then split it into two and mounted one either side. That was before digital cameras so I am afraid I have no pictures of it. Did look very nice though. :wink:

Im thinking of doing something like that with the Legacy and maybe a bit of dental work around the top .
Play time tomorrow :lol:
Ive taken the old fire surround out to copy the sizes , when im done im thinking of fitting it to the big hole next door left in my workshop when he set it on fire :lol: Gotta laugh eh .

i think these days different top brackets could be quite nice.
not sure what i have in mind, but something "squarer"
lot depends upon the fire in place.

as for your back door, how are you going to get the wood through
that gap??? :lol: :lol:

looks an interesting one mate.

paul :wink:

Hi

Fine Woodworking did a special recently on built in furniture which had three fire surrounds in it. Not my taste but might be some ideas in it for you.

Incidentally in the fire surround that you link to in your first post has an interesting design on the legs. The fluting on the legs on the left continues to pilaster(?) however on the right they go into the corbel(?) at the top! Is this a common feature on fire surrounds do you think?

Rgds

Saint

The Saint":xss2d2sg said:
Hi

Fine Woodworking did a special recently on built in furniture which had three fire surrounds in it. Not my taste but might be some ideas in it for you.

Incidentally in the fire surround that you link to in your first post has an interesting design on the legs. The fluting on the legs on the left continues to pilaster(?) however on the right they go into the corbel(?) at the top! Is this a common feature on fire surrounds do you think?

Rgds

Saint

It just looks like it was assembled with the right hand piece upside down.

I ended up playing with the Legacy and made this
16112006226.jpg

16112006227.jpg

Bryon your going to wish you hadn't asked me that :lol:
In my words the Legacy is a bit like a 3d carriage for the router .
You can do turning and flute the turnings as on the fireplace above , you can easily turn it into a flat bed moulding table ( like a router table ) i used that to do the dental work .
You can also do circle turning for things like table tops and it has a template follower for copying things like table legs etc .
There is a new Legacy out now for £600 .
More info here http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/legacy.htm
:D

hi jason, looks nice, wonder whether you would think to make the
corbels with a curve to integrate into the top, might increase the
beauty. maybe you could hot gun glue some corner pieces to see
what it looks like.

oh, picky bit, i am sure they are called DENTIL mouldings,
but they do look nice. :twisted:

paul :wink:

Back