Finishing Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean pigmented, or just that it gives oak a yellow (being polite, honeyed) cast like any oil?

It isn't a water-based acrylic, but for an oil it's not bad - less glorpy than linseed.

JWF":2jarmpfw said:
This question has probably been asked, and answered, many times before but here goes.
An church architect friend of mine has asked what type of finish to use on new oak inside the church he is currently working on. He has recommended Danish Oil, Teak Oil, etc. in the past, but feels that the beauty of the oak is lost in the colour that these oils leave behind due to pigments that have been added. Can anyone shed some light on this problem.
Thanks
John
It won't be pigment it's just the oil and wood together. More obvious with old oak which can go a very dark reddish brown with pure pigment free oil.
If he doesn't like the finishes why not just leave them off? Lots of old oak is unfinished in any way.

Just dug out my test piece of oak finished with Aquacoat from Smith and Rodger. Negligible colouration of the oak. Very easy to apply. Water based. Out of curiosity and because I need to seal/finish off the new oak flooring in the bathroom I poured some water onto the Aquacoat and left it for two hours and then wiped it off.

Minimal dark patch where the water was and by the next day, it had gone completely.

Latest posts

Back