finishing drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steadphil

Reaction score
should the inside of drawers be finished with danish oil as I have been told it can lead to staining of objects put into the drawers

Phil
I'd wouldn't-the smell alone is offputting. It will never go away. Try shellac instead.
Cheers
Philly :D

Phil,

I have used Chestnuts Lemon oil to finish draws, does not build as quick as danish or finishing oil. The smell is not as strong but gives a pleasant lemon waft as you open the draw. :)

This thread has come at just the right time. If the drawer is half blind dovetailed (tyipical for drawers) and the drawer front is stained, do you also stain the tails on the tail board (drawer side). I have seen part of the drawer side stained, on some of Norms work but it looked a bit slap dash eg not a clean vertical line.

newt":1y04x226 said:
......but it looked a bit slap dash eg not a clean vertical line.
:norm: has obviously never heard of masking tape

Scrit

Scrit":h78t31r8 said:
...............has obviously never heard of masking tape. Scrit

I always thought that's what the cut shoulder line marked by the cutting gauge did-- stopped the dye/stain/polish wicking along the grain. Slainte.

Sgain - do you think Norm uses things like marking gauges? After all Porter-Cable and Delta don't sell them, do they?

Scrit

Scrit":3qorzr60 said:
Sgain - do you think Norm uses things like marking gauges? Scrit

Certainly not Scrit. I don't think Norm knows the meaning of the word 'fine'.

When I lived in the US I loathed seeing his show on TV. After I saw the first two or three questionable looking offerings that I came across back in 1993, I always turned over or walked out of the room. I know one of the channels here in the UK now airs his safety-lite work methods. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back