Finishing Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Ray. I'm not sure spalted timber is going to be right for a workbench?

Hmmm.. I too have some ash (some of it olive) that needs finishing, on a set of shelves, and my preference would be for something that affects the colour of the wood as little as possible.

I find that whenever I read a thread here that answers my questions, I come away slightly more knowledgeable and much more confused!

I have read (in a Charlesworth book) that using shellac makes a good seal. Can shellac be used on ash? And would several coats be enough on its own? And if I go down the shellac route, will I end up by giving the shelves a final polish under the wheels of a large tractor before heading off to Ikea in high dudgeon?

It seems from reading this thread that the Rustins stuff will yellow slightly with age unless the wood is sealed first. Is that right?

The shelves are for cookery books, so will see quite a bit of traffic.

when people are talking about needing a "spay booth" I assume this is not a corner of the workshop, segregated by a shower curtain and the Dust Extractor running through an open pipe? :)

1) how "enclosed" should the booth be - would I need to fabricate a little room in which the spaying would take place (knock down fittings so that it is not permeant)?
2) What sort of extraction would be needed? I am aware the proper spay shops need all sorts of filtration on their out flows... If none of this is needed would a good cyclone Dust Extractor do the job (dual duties) or is this a really stupid idea!?
3) Do you need an similarly enclosed and vented space to dry the sprayed panels?

Thanks

Miles

I note the comments about not using Danish oil - has anyone tried Tru Oil or Liberon finishing oil - get a lovely finish on spruce, walnut, cherry although Tru oil does make sycamore go a little yellow.

from what I gather from this and other threads is that ALL oil makes ash go yellow. I'd stick with waterbased unless you want urine-alike furniture!

Latest posts

Back