Finished first project for 7 years (Guitar Case)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
First thing I have made in seven years. A case for my wife to hold her prized possession a guitar. The guitar is the one used by John Walker on his 1986 UK solo tour. John was a lead member of the Walker Brothers group who were big in the 1960s.
Case finished.JPG

I wanted to fasten the guitar into the case without using a bracket, either one that the guitar hung from or was screwed into the guitar. So I came up with this idea. I used a long screw, long enough to reach from the back of the case and screw into the guitar replacing the screw that held the button for the guitar strap. I hid the screw with a shot length of chromed copper tube.
Fastening.JPG

The back is made from MDF edged with a 2" strip of oak down each side and the veneered with oak veneer. The top bottom and front bars are made from solid oak. I obtained the veneer for the back from a local coffin makers. I used 2mm glass, to save on weight, set in 3mm groves cut in the back and front bars with my bench saw. The stopped groves in the base and top.
End panel.JPG

I cut with a Dremel and 3.2 cutter. I used this router base I got from Stewart Macdonald as a better option than anything I could find in the UK.
Dremel router base.JPG

The over sized groves, between 3 and 3.2mm, made for easier assembly but still hold the glass firmly without and thing to stick it in place.
The only thing I'm less than happy with is the way the grain on the back gives the illusion that the frame holding the photo is not quite square but SWMBO is happy with it so all well in the World :eek:

Attachments

• Case finished.JPG
    Case finished.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Fastening.JPG
    Fastening.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 1,415
  • End panel.JPG
    End panel.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Dremel router base.JPG
    Dremel router base.JPG