Finish for scrolled items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatknot":3tgr5ukb said:
I applied some neat to several items, its a tad claggy as was mentioned, so perhaps I will add 10% thinners next time
Thin some down about 10% in a suitable jar and keep your brush in it, wipe bulk off brush on inside of jar before use.
If it needs 2 coats so be it.

DSC02541.JPG

I have a tin of that but not used it yet.
Would it be ok to wax the wood after using this?

I assume I would need to sand it down to a 600 grit and then wax would this be correct? also would I lightly sand over the wax whilst adding layers?

Coating in wax over top is fine, that's it's basic function, to firm up any loose fibres and provide none porous foundation for finishing coats be it a wax or lacquer.
Sanding before application, on most woods 240-320 is fine especially if sanding with grain. Light sanding with same grade abrasive or Nyweb to de-nib (or buff)

I gave the items a quick once over with 150 grit and they were a smooth as a babys botty

Perfectly acceptable for a final coat or just leave as they were

Claymore":3bpzeqlc said:
Its lovely stuff and like glass after a fine sand (I use 600 grit wet and dry paper) when waxed it feels silky smooth :cool: also the fumes will clear ya head lol

Brian

Thats what I shall try next time round

CHJ":1vgyjtfk said:
whatknot":1vgyjtfk said:
I applied some neat to several items, its a tad claggy as was mentioned, so perhaps I will add 10% thinners next time
Thin some down about 10% in a suitable jar and keep your brush in it, wipe bulk off brush on inside of jar before use.
If it needs 2 coats so be it.

DSC02541.JPG

Claymore":2jh5xkoo said:
Garno":2jh5xkoo said:
I have a tin of that but not used it yet.
Would it be ok to wax the wood after using this?

I assume I would need to sand it down to a 600 grit and then wax would this be correct? also would I lightly sand over the wax whilst adding layers?

I basically do this when i have finished making an Intarsia.
1: sand the bare wood smooth using 400 grit.
2: give it a coat of sealer and leave to dry
3: after giving it a light sand with 600 maybe 1000 if ya want give it another coat
4: another coat of sealer and leave to dry fully.
5: very fine sand using 1000 grit or similar
6: wax the lot and leave to dry and then buff with a soft cloth, if your happy with the result then its done or you can give it another coat of wax and then buff (its all personal taste but the guys on here recommended this technique and it works lovely) http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-mic ... wax-951143 (Watch the Karate Kid movie for wipe on.......wipe off technique :lol: )
I never dilute my sealer because i want a thicker layer on the 3d intarsia pieces but for scrolled then dilute as per above) don't sand between coats of wax

Some of the other guys will probably have more tips later as I only do Intarsia work. Once you have done a couple you will automatically get the knack...... everyone has to start somewhere and its great having a forum like this to help and save you from making mistakes etc.
Cheers
Brian :)

Very nice guide Brian thank you very much for taking the time to write it out.

Gary

Latest posts

Back