Finish for birch plywood bathroom cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terby

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on which finishes would be suitable for birch ply cabinet carcasses (edge banded with birch) situated in a bathroom.

I would prefer a neutral or satin finish and would like to provide some protection against the moisture likely in a bathroom.

I was looking at using Osmo Polyx, possibly with the Wood Protector product (although in test pieces where I was generous with application of the protector this seemed to yellow the colour a fair bit).

Spraying is not an option for me, so application would need to be by brush/cloth/Scotch Brite etc.

Would welcome suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks

I have not used Osmo Polyx- So I can not comment on this product. I would suggest using a good matt polyurethane varnish myself. ( First coat thinned down with 10% white spirit) and de nib in between coats. The problem you may have ( as like all oil finishes) they tend to yellow after a while. You may also want to try a acrylic varnish - ( water based) they do not yellow.

I have not used Osmo Polyx- So I can not comment on this product. I would suggest using a good matt polyurethane varnish myself. ( First coat thinned down with 10% white spirit) and de nib in between coats. The problem you may have ( as like all oil finishes) they tend to yellow after a while. You may also want to try a acrylic varnish - ( water based) they do not yellow.

Thanks for that mr.alan., I will investigate some polyurethane and acrylic varnishes.

Back