Filler and how to stain it match the wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, reagrds filler. I use the plastic wood stuff to fill in cracks in knots and smalblemishes. It ofetn does not take woodstain very well.

There must be a product to conceal this. I was experimenting with my boys pastels today with some success, has anybody got any reccomendations. What I liked with his stuff is he has a set with about 10 shades of brown from almost yellow to amost black, but they smear when I apply danish oil over the top, they work quite well if I put them on as the oil is drying.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Chunko.

Hi Chunko

I have had success with artists acrylics (you can buy them cheaply about £1 for about 100ml bottles at artist shops, don't go for the really expensive versions there is no need) these are water based so are easy to use and mix and once dry are waterproof so should take oil ok but I must admit I haven't tried oil only varnish so try a scrap first

what you need , at least for brummer stopper, are aniline dyes water or solvent will work. just solvent and dye mixed to match. this will not smear with danish oil. personally i use premixed dye stainers from jenkins. ps you can also mix any colour of stain with these colours red yellow green and black dont bother with blue!!!

A lot of furniture restorers use coloured wax to fill in blemishes and cracks.The idea is to finish the piece and them use a wax crayon ( for want of a better word ) either rubbed in or melted in using a soldering iron to drip wax into the blemish ,the colour of the wax needs to be a good match for the surrounding wood. Scrape off the excess with a plastic spatula/scraper and then buff to match the surrounding timber. Kits are available from a number of suppliers and though they seem expensive at first they do go a long way and they are just about silly person proof.

Latest posts

Back