Festool Guide Rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to pick up a Festool Guide Rail for my Lidl Parkside Track saw as they seem to be very reasonably priced, only £45 for the 800mm and £55 for the 1400mm! ... I would have thought these would be far more expensive coming from festool?

I happened to notice that after 1400mm, the price spikes though. £200 for the next size up! (2.7m) .. I assume this is because it's more beefy? it would have to be at those lengths!

It's exactly the same profile. I think the price takes into account the number that don't make it to their destination undamaged.
I'd like a 3m rail but I'm not going to order one online because I think the chances of it arriving in perfect shape are probably 25% at best, I'm waiting till I can get to D&M in a van.

transatlantic":2vz90a83 said:
I am wanting to pick up a Festool Guide Rail for my Lidl Parkside Track saw as they seem to be very reasonably priced, only £45 for the 800mm and £55 for the 1400mm! ... I would have thought these would be far more expensive coming from festool?

I happened to notice that after 1400mm, the price spikes though. £200 for the next size up! (2.7m) .. I assume this is because it's more beefy? it would have to be at those lengths!
Will your tracksaw be compatible with the festool guide rails?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Estoril-5":1ujd3vmh said:
transatlantic":1ujd3vmh said:

Will your tracksaw be compatible with the festool guide rails?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

From the searches I have done, I believe so.

Steve Maskery":h9x36luc said:
They come in a wooden box, so they shouldn't be damaged.
Didn't realise that, that would account for the extra cost then.

pcb1962":cm0t2k43 said:
Steve Maskery":cm0t2k43 said:
They come in a wooden box, so they shouldn't be damaged.
Didn't realise that, that would account for the extra cost then.

Quite a few people keep the delivery box for their own transport requirements.

Think they used to come in a wooden box but don't anymore, my 3m rail came in a cardboard box and yes the rail had a big kink in it :(

Mine came in a cardboard box but it had timber strips down the length and foam supports so the guide rail was well protected. I would rather order it online and then just reject if received damaged.
I kept my transport box as it is useful when it needs to go for a day out lol.
I keep thinking about building a nice wooden box to house my two rails as it would be nicer

My 3mtr rail came in a wooden box, that was 3 years ago. I kept it and store the rail in it. It helps keeping it protected, especially when transporting it to & from job sites.

Transatlantic,....You can get a 1900mm rail or a 2400mm rail if you need one longer than the 1400mm rail.

Tim.

I bought a 1.4m rail, it came in a sturdy cardboard box, undamaged. I doubt that is always the case though for any size, especially the larger rails.

For reference I have the parkside saw, it works perfectly with the Festool track and you can also combine the parkside tracks with the festool tracks using the joining bars.

Yes my cardboard box had the wood strips in but they were broken and the rail had a kink in it. I don't know what they had done to it, looked like an elephant had sat on it. I watched the delivery driver walk down my drive with the very bent box, he knocked on the door and just said sign here as if there was nothing wrong!

My Makita 3m rail was a lot cheaper than the Festool equivalent. Both brands of saw run on both brands of rail, so yours should, too, I assume. There are differences in the design, but they're irrelevant to cutting up sheet materials.

The Makita rail came in a very heavy wooden box (about two years ago), and it's fine.

I initially thought I had 1mm bow in it, but to be honest it's extremely difficult to tell, and anyway, that's within the error Festool quote, IIRC. Makita don't specify. The only difficulty was getting it out of the box undamaged - you really need a track already, so you can cut down the length of the heavy MDF sides!

Eric The Viking":2xyxovrn said:
My Makita 3m rail was a lot cheaper than the Festool equivalent. Both brands of saw run on both brands of rail, so yours should, too, I assume. There are differences in the design, but they're irrelevant to cutting up sheet materials.
One point worth mentioning is that you can't use the Festool parallel guides with Makita rails.

Probably, but I've had trouble connecting really old Makita with newer Makita ones! Specifically, my two old 1.4M tracks don't play nicely with the 3m one. The dimensional difference is microscopic - you can _just_ feel it with fingettips, but it's enough to bring the saw sled to a grinding halt.

Why? These are all aluminium extrusions, and I suspect someone has had to change the die (they wear, obviously). It's probably just the difference between something made at the end of life of an old die, with something extruded with a newer one. It probably happens with Festool too, but if not, they're changing the die more often, which might go some way towards explaining why they're so expensive!

When we were in LA a couple of years ago, there was an exhibition at the Hammer Institute of work done by the Thomas Heatherwick design studio, including a pre-production example of his extruded bench. It's apparently one of the largest extrusions ever attempted, and on display was an offcut from the start of a production run:
eb_01.jpg

It takes a lot of material before the run settles into the correct shape.

I have my own picture of this (or a lump of extrusion very similar) from the exhibition, but the background is very cluttered, sadly.

Obviously, once you have achieved steady state (or whatever), you could have continuous benches hundreds of metres long (if you could transport them!). And, per-metre, pretty cheap, too. The piece in the picture is about eight or ten feet long, and the end nearest the camera is the intended bench/chair profile.

E.

While I say you can connect the parkside and festool together, the joint is not perfect as you mention but it does not stop the saw. To make the transition smoother I took a needle file and gently rounded the edges of all my tracks, this helps a lot. When the saw transitions between tracks you can feel a difference but the saw does keep moving and as long you are aware of the join you can get a pretty smooth cut too. Is it as good as having a dedicated 2.8m track? No of course not, is it a lot cheaper and easier to store/transport? Most definitely.
I have ony used all of tracks together once, most of the time I am using either the 1.4m or one of the 700mm. Nice to know I have the option when needed though.

Latest posts

Back