Fein Multimaster sanding sheets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a problem with the sanding sheets (80 grit) in that the backing comes adrift, ie it remains on the soleplate base but detaches from the sanding sheet. This has happened on three sheets so far (the first ones that I have used), the surface of the sheet is not worn and is OK, but of course cannot be used due to it not being able to adhere to the soleplate. It has made a bit of mess on the soleplate. I have managed to peel some of the residue off. This is a new multimaster and the sanding sheets came with it so must be sourced by multimaster. I was using it for a period of approx 2 hrs each day over a 2 day period at its highest speed, sanding down a cedarwood greenhouse. I have not tried any of the other grits it came with. Has anyone else had this problem or can advise if I am not doing something right?

Cheers

Con

I have had a fein for about 10 years now and find it to be a godsend tool at times.
I had the same problem with the sandpaper so i cut the rubbery base flat. Then stuck on some heavy duty velcro. After that i was able to buy a roll of hook and loop sandpaper [screwfix i think ] It has worn down again at times but i just renew the velcro. The sandpaper works out significantly cheaper than the precut pads. Also you can then cut the sandpaper slightly bigger than the pad which works well in corners . Hope that helps.

Hi Con,

I too have had a problem with sanding on my multimaster - but it was the actual sanding pad, not the paper. The rubber came away from the metal backing. I took it back to my local dealer who replaced it straight away but it happened again within an hour. after my local dealer done some digging around, it turned out that there was a problem with them. My dealer ordered some from a new batch and i haven't had a problems since.

Maybe they changed their process or adhesives but something was wrong for a while.

As i don't use it much for sanding, buying the pre-cut paper isn't a bother for me but if you do have any more problems then maybe try adapting yourself to use a different paper as suggested!

Dave

Con, I had exactly the same problem and mentioned it to the Fein rep at a show last year. I did get told they had had a bad batch, but even the ones I bought that day failed - the sanding pads are the one thing that lets the Fein down. i'm going to do as bhenry suggested and move over to velco and make my own sheets.

Dave

Hi

BHENRY1
BARBYNDAVE
DAVE

Thanks guys for the prompt replies and advice. I will do as BHenry suggests.

Many thanks

Con

It does make you wonder why the manufacturers send them out like this though.
Don't they test their own products and consumables before putting them on the market?

Latest posts

Back