feb none entry candlestick, Critique welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi , Here is my feb none entry due to me being useless with a computer, it is my interpratation of a Buddhist/Japanese Pagoda.
Made from an old oak post, it is 15" high, 4.5" at the base tapering to 2" at the top,
it was ebonised using india ink lacquered and polished, with the roof tops being gilded using gold leaf, with a brass candle cup in the top, c&c welcome, thanks for looking

Attachments

• 2011_0224febcompcandle0001.JPG
    2011_0224febcompcandle0001.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 710
  • 2011_0224febcompcandle0002.JPG
    2011_0224febcompcandle0002.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 710
  • 2011_0224febcompcandle0004.JPG
    2011_0224febcompcandle0004.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 710
Wow, no room for error or poor finish there. Very striking design. The bottom ring feels out of place / too small but I love the use of the gold leaf - I must get around to using it some time; was it hard to use?
Miles

Chris

That design is striking

I like it very much

As Miles has mentioned the gold ring look a little off scale

But great vision with the design =D>

Hi Chris,
I like your candlestick very much. As a design, it works very well, for me.
I agree with the others, the bottom ring looks out of proportion (and different in style) to the others, but otherwise it looks very attractive and well proportioned.
Your photos look a little out of focus, so I imagine a judge in the comp would have found it hard to decide how good the finish is.
I love the colours in your piece( very similar to those in my entry :) ). How did you get on using indian ink to colour the work - how does it compare with spray lacquer, for example?

Ian

Not my personal taste but its still interesting and looks well done.

Regarding the bottom ring it does look out of place but my thought was you tried to keep for the roof tops the same size so by natural tapper the bottom ring would be less?

Hi all,
Miles, thanks for the comments, I think the base may need reworking the diameter of the ring is the same as the 1st roof, the goldleaf was an attempt to reference through to the main stick and the candle, the gilding was quite fiddley.... plenty of good how tos on tinterweb, give it a go.
Blister , thanks, may redo base
Silverbirch, the india ink wasn`t too bad, did a test piece 1st, it allows the grain to show through.
H.C., thanks, as said base will possibly be reworked, you are right about my thoughts on the taper/size, as to taste possibly this piece is like Marmite :lol:

Back