farmhouse table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to build a farmhouse table for a pal of mine. The budget is reasonably tight because his money is all going towards the deposit for the new house he is buying. The house warming present is the labour to make said table- he is covering material cost.

The design is reasonably straightforward- top size is 6 x 3 (as requested by him), 4 turned legs, drawer in each end. He would like an oak top, which I think would need to be ex 1 ½” to look right, finishing at approx 1 ¼”. I was planning on using 3 or 4 boards wide, and breadboard ends. The top is to be finished in a “French oak” colour, which is a golden brown - I will probably fume it to the right shade and oil it.

The underneath is causing me to think. The turned legs are beech, simply because I have bought some from Dodge which are cheaper than buying the timber. I don’t have a lathe, or the skill to turn any, so options are limited there. I was going to make the rails and ends also from beech to match the legs.

I have never used beech- is using it with oak going to really clash colour-wise, or is there a finish that I can use to make the two look good together. Contrast is fine, similar colour is fine, but I don’t want to use non-complimentary timber colours together and it look dreadful!

Any thoughts? Has anybody used the two timbers together and can share any pictures? I could make aprons from oak, but it is really the legs that would be on show!

I would paint the beech frame & legs
Have a look at swank kitchens like Chalon. Tell him the colour's Farrow and ball squirrels's earlobe
Matt

hi i have used oak and beech together at a customers request, i dont think they go. but as far as your design, i would go down the chabby chic route and paint the base and keep the top oiled as you are.

3805867_orig.jpg

there is the pic, the cabinetry is laquered oak and the worktop is laquered beech. They arent massively off paired, but i dont think it wqorks personally.

Regards,

Phil

i personally would paint the legs too, but they say not.

i have a small bit of beech, and some oak off cuts. i will have a play with them and show them the results. if not, it will have to have square oak legs rather than turned!

I also think the frame should be painted - which is the trad way.

If it helps to have some pictures to show them, Jacob has some pictures of proper kitchen tables on his website here: http://owdman.co.uk/

From your description I imagine something like his blue table.

You could always finish the frame with something like Danish Oil or linseed oil, either of which is a good primer for paint if they do change their minds!

You could always stain the legs with an Oak stain , the colour would then be the same, but the grain would still be different. But if they dont want it painted, cant see any other way of doing it.

Most of the tables I have collected off freecycle had Oak tops with Beech legs all stained to match each other - I couldn't tell the difference when in their original states... but I personally dislike dark stain (a lot). I've seen a lot of painted bases too but it makes me susupicious of it being (horrible) pine. Obviously both of these options would require a lot more TLC to keep looking good.

Will your pal notice any difference or even care..or is it just your' sense of style messing with you? I struggle with such things too.

I have just finished my first table..it is a farmhouse style (99.9%) oak dining table with breadboard ends (& sort of secret drawers) but all my timber was dead cheap as it was green(ish), scraphead stuff that took a lot of time to season & fettling to get square. The legs are square as that's my preference.

I'm sure there's a turner on here that'd do you proud if you asked.. there seems to be a lot of very kind & very talented gents on here. Failing that perhaps try buying an old table with the right legs - old furniture is so cheap & plentiful, esp from Christian charity shops that are quite common ..round here at least.

HTH

Togs

You'll regret not making it all from the same wood. As for staining, I wouldn't bother as you might as well use deal rather than spoil an expensive piece of hardwood. Use oak for all if you possibly can and it will look much better - beech has little or no grain to speak of.

Hi

If painting the base is not an option then I'd go for fabricating the legs from oak planks - oak and beech grains are too dissimilar to be used sucessfully together in my opinion.

Regards Mick

I too am in the process of designing a farmhouse table for a customer as well. Although the timber he wants is 200 year old pitch pine that formed the structural members of an old woollen mill. Unfortunately the timber was left outside for a few years and has a quite a few nails and random pieces of metal in it.
I am toiled with the idea of going and buying some good quality pine and making it up as it would prove much easier and less time consuming!

See if you can pick up some old oak posts online or locally and use that for your legs and frame, sand it down and give a good few coats of polyurethane.
As for the legs am going for 4x4 posts, slightly tapered towards the bottom on the two outsides edges of each post. Starting approx 1" below the frame and tapering into approx. 3.5" at the bottom. Simple and looks the part aswell. Its also easy to achieve on either your table saw with a tapering jig or on the bandsaw pending on what you got!

general consensus seems to be not to mix the two timbers. possibly incidental because the legs have cracked, so unless painted probably arent much use on this project. oak throughout it is.

back onto this one now!

There seem to be some standard sizes for tables, but I am struggling to find a definitive printed resource. Joyce is bizarrely lacking in dining tables.

What is the acceoted norm for apron sizes? I want to put a drawer in each end, so need a bit of space to do so. If i can get some 1 1/4" oak from Lavers I will use that for the aprons, otherwise it will have to be 1 1/2"- i think 1" sawn may look a bit thin when planed up? Thoughts?

marcros":87pu3kc9 said:
back onto this one now!

There seem to be some standard sizes for tables,
There isn't. But people come up with similar solutions to similar problems and round off to simple sizes.
but I am struggling to find a definitive printed resource. Joyce is bizarrely lacking in dining tables.

What is the accepted norm for apron sizes?
There isn't a norm but knee height when sitting gives a limit. Say 24" to clear the thighs of a sitting person on an 18" chair. So for a typical table height 30" this gives a 6" apron less top thickness. Could be tight if you have fat thighs.
.... If i can get some 1 1/4" oak from Lavers I will use that for the aprons, otherwise it will have to be 1 1/2"- i think 1" sawn may look a bit thin when planed up? Thoughts?
Yes to all that.
The way to find out these things is to go and measure a table or two. There will be one not far away from you!

Cian":2mj1q5fy said:
As for the legs am going for 4x4 posts, slightly tapered towards the bottom on the two outsides edges of each post. Starting approx 1" below the frame and tapering into approx. 3.5" at the bottom. Simple and looks the part aswell. Its also easy to achieve on either your table saw with a tapering jig or on the bandsaw pending on what you got!
I'd taper the inside faces. Looks neater and is more traditional, though you can find many variations.

marcros":uj0bq15f said:
general consensus seems to be not to mix the two timbers. possibly incidental because the legs have cracked, so unless painted probably arent much use on this project. oak throughout it is.
Tables sometimes have better stuff on top e.g. sycamore top on pine base. But one timber throughout is more common.

marcros":2dzt6kcd said:
i was planning to do 3 x 3 legs and taper the inside. something not disimmilar to http://www.alexanderpaulantiques.com/st ... 669-13.htm
Nice one. I wouldn't bother with the breadboard ends unless this is going into a very old fashioned kitcheny environment - frequently hot/cold/dry/wet etc.
Thos Moser has nice tables in his books.

cheers i will have a look for that Jacob.

I know that you will tell me to go and look at a table, but I cant at this minute in time, and we do not possess any furniture that didnt start life as a flat pack. How is the drawer supported. There is the cross rail beneath it- are there some wooden runners on the inside of the side rails, and it simply goes along those side rails?

marcros":24pu86j2 said:
cheers i will have a look for that Jacob.

I know that you will tell me to go and look at a table, but I cant at this minute in time, and we do not possess any furniture that didnt start life as a flat pack. How is the drawer supported. There is the cross rail beneath it- are there some wooden runners on the inside of the side rails, and it simply goes along those side rails?
Drawer details are in Joyce I think. Fairly standard - wide top and bottom rails, runners, kickers, guides, stops on the bottom rail to catch the back edge of the drawer front.

Back