Fallen Walnut Tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
A neighbour has just had a large walnut tree blown over in her paddock and has asked me to deal with it for her.

It is about 3-4 foot in diameter at the base but the straigt run of trunk is not more than about 7 feet before branching out starts.

walnut01.jpg

walnut02.jpg

walnut03.jpg

walnut04.jpg

Has anyone any experience of how best to deal with this in negotiations with a local tree surgeon as this needs to be moved asap? Also the tree has fallen across a fence into a paddock next door where relations are at best strained with the owner, does he have rights in this issue?

I would assume that there is a fair value in this timber and I want to do the best I can for my neighbour and of course get a bit of nice walnut for myself somewhere along the way!
Regards
Martin

I can't help other than to comment that in the bottom picture, it looks like a hollow in the tree, from a previously fallen branch. That being the case, it may well be full of rot.

Adam

I have negotiated removal of a larger standing walnut tree with a wood supplier - there wasn't a great cash benefit after he had cut it down and tidied it all away. However - the cost of having someone come and do it would have been substantial anyway, so it was on the plus side at least. As my 'commission' I got some of the smaller diameter branches - c. 8" diameter for turning.

It would be a shame to go to the firewood supplier, which is another option. You could always call the nearest turning club and tell them to come down with their chainsaws! It dopesn't look loke there will be much in the way of planking to be obtained.

Martin.
Yes, the AWGB site will tell the local contact. They'll probably come round pretty quick if the timber is sound.

I have a walnut tree exactly like that and the trunk divides into two about five foot above ground. Where it divides it has also split and rain has got in and the inside is very rotten. I've tied the two trunks to each other with one of those straps that you see on the soft sided artics.

The level of interest you will get will depend partly on ease of access also.

If next to a road or driveway then much easier to take away obviously, but doubt it would be of much interest to the pro's due to the limited main trunk length.

Best bet would be local turners etc as mentioned, but wouldn't expect to get much if anything for it other than having it cleared up.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Just a word of caution before you let any inexperienced people near it with a chainsaw, fallen trees are very dangerous things to cut up, as the limbs are removed they can become unbalanced and roll over, I've seen it happen with a 50ft oak tree!!

Jason

should get some nice figured stuff from around the root/butt.
im with all the other suggestions does'nt seem to be much good lengths to be had.

Back