Fallen tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8 Fossil

Reaction score
Recently I was out for a winter walk and a tree had recently decided to let go it's grip of mother earth and had crashed across the footpath but somebody had already removed the offending section of the trunk from the path. Around six big chunks of beautiful wood lay at the side of the path. Around six inches thick x three feet across. Hmmm! I had a notion to return in the dead of night with the car but it was that time of year when the temptation of a nice beer got the better of me so the notion was erased. The next day I went for a look see and I couldn't believe my eyes, they were all gone. Hopefully not destined to go up a chimney somewhere. Such a waste.

Attachments

• IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I often see lovely pieces along the canal, if only I had a way to collect them, last pile was from a beech tree 2foot across at the widest, the spalting in it was amazing.

a wheel barrow is better. I have a wood out of the back of where I live, can bring 10 stone+ back at a time, sometimes from ¼mile away. 4 wheel trolleys are no good uness you have a perfect wide surface. one wheel is always getting hanked on something.

Somebody had their eye on them. I had three Elms taken down by the Council and asked the tree surgeon if I could have one. The crew that turned up were narky to say the least. I secured one but the rest were turned into firewood on the spot and disappeared in a trailer. It was obviously a perk of the job.

Been trying to get school to buy me one of those for ages but they keep refusing.
Start off big and scale back..... so tomorrow, ask for a mini digger and dumper, then drop back to just the digger. What that fails hasstle them for a power barrow for a couple of weeks.... when you eventually get down to the trolley, they'll bite your hand off 😆

Start off big and scale back..... so tomorrow, ask for a mini digger and dumper, then drop back to just the digger. What that fails hasstle them for a power barrow for a couple of weeks.... when you eventually get down to the trolley, they'll bite your hand off 😆
Thus speaks the expert!

Did you start with a private jet?!!

Not sure the 6" thick rings would be good for much other than firewood though ? By the time you start getting drying splits in the end grain on each side I doubt there would be much usable material, other than for very small things ?

To my very amateur eye it's a beech tree, it's a long way to the house with a wheel barrow and I doubt I could lift the remaining section but I dare say that there's a few dozen egg cups or salt n pepper pots in there then.

I have a cunning plan.

A black poplar fell in the woods behind my house, thought I’d salvage some with my 14” bar chainsaw. Half hour later, the chain was a lot less sharp than it was when I started, and it felt like the tree was barely scratched. Some jobs really are just too big

I often see logs laying about like this. I have a bike trailer so collect them like that.
Recently got some oak with incredible figuring from a tree that must have been around 200 years old when a big branch broke off. Unfortunately it gummed up my bandsaw blade quite quickly as it was still very green (even using a heavier set blade and more aggressive TPI)
Went back the next day and it was all gone!
These days, whenever I hear a chainsaw in the distance, my head seems to pop up to figure out where :LOL:
(I don't own a chainsaw, bit scared of getting one)

Last year I salvaged 6 or 7 loads with the 6 ton trailer and brought to a local sawmill. Plus three loads which I barked for log building. All from windfallen trees on one of our village commons which is an island one kilometre offshore. Nobody else bothered to salvage anything so I got it all.
I had to leave behind all the firewood. Some 15-20 loads I rekon. What a pity. The ice road rotted and wasn't safe anymore when I got that far with the job. This winter we haven't had any proper sea ice yet. I rowed half a load ashore by boat but that was too laborious.

Back