F&C Editors choice 2007

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else find the omissions in the F&C tool review extraordinary. I appreciate that these things are heavily sponsored but to ignore clear leaders in categories is very odd.

Too much Draper by far, surprising no mention of Metabo Duo in the ROS section and no mention of Festool at all.

Rather erodes their opinions I think.

Cheers

Tim

I think that it is what you mention a review, an opinion on the selected tools, it makes no claim to "be the best of etc." Sponsored mainly by the advertisers of the supliment imho.

ProShop":32k0j65m said:
I think that it is what you mention a review, an opinion on the selected tools, it makes no claim to "be the best of etc." Sponsored mainly by the advertisers of the supliment imho.

I take your point except that its called 'Editor's Choice'

Cheers

Tim

tim":i0ibvb8r said:
ProShop":i0ibvb8r said:

I take your point except that its called 'Editor's Choice'

Cheers

Tim

And he's just left :D :D :D :D

If it's the new Ed's choice ...................................:shock: :D :D

The old editors choice would have been SCM.

I got bored with the magazine's tedious leaning towards particular brands - it reminded me of Alan Partridge and his cars. Stopped buying it a long time ago.

Cheers Mike.

I looked through it, laughed at the complete irrelevance and utter lack of effort that had been applied to it and dropped it straight into the recycling.

Yes, it seriously undermines their credibility and, as you said, the omissions were glaring.

Adam

Adam":rp4q36em said:
I looked through it, laughed at the complete irrelevance and utter lack of effort that had been applied to it and dropped it straight into the recycling.

Adam

Thats exactly what I did!

Cheers

Tim

tim":fhyyf7kg said:
Adam":fhyyf7kg said:

Adam

Thats exactly what I did!

Cheers

Tim

Nick Gibbs, Take note !!!

While i understand that much needed revenue is generated by sponsors and advertising, it becomes sickening when sponsors and advertising is all that seems to matter. We all live in the real world.
Draper :roll: You must be havin a laugh !!!!
Along with Mike i too had enough, and stopped buying F&C a long time ago.
Cheers
Gary.

I didn't renew my subscription to F&C when it expired last year.

I got bored to distraction with their obsession with reviews of combination machines. Every month there seemed to be another 4 pages devoted to a machine which no-one buys and no-one wants!

As a magazine which purports to be a trade mag for pro cabinets makers it is so out of touch with it's tool coverage. Nearly every pro guy I know uses a full set up of old 3-phase cast iron machines - Wadkin, Sedgewick etc. So why not feature articles on fettling up 40 year-old machines?

I think we know the answer to that one!

As for power tools, Tim is spot on. No self-respecting user is going to consider Draper for anything other than for a one-off job.

Another thing.

Why do all these magazines feature so many detailed plans of projects? Surely one of the most important skills of being a furniture maker is working out how you're going to make a piece. Why would anyone except a rank beginner want to follow someone else's plans when you can have much more fun working it out for yourself?

And F&C isn't aimed at rank beginners.

Photos of the finished piece and of innovative construction details are more than sufficient.

Rant over!

What's this new mag like? British something or other? Never seen it...

Cheers
Dan

It's British Woodworking, Dan. It's only bi-monthly, but I suggest you look out for it in WH Smiths some time. It's only been going a few months and already has a very strong following on the forums alone. :)

With regards to F&C, I don't understand why they take articles from their (GMC's) books and dedicated a couple of double-page spreads to it over a couple of issues? I enjoy the detailed looks and drawer making and dovetailing. The gallery usually features some stunning and very original work and ideas...

Maybe all this 'constructive criticism' would be better off sent in the direction of the new editor's inbox? It seems to work with other mags.

Dan Tovey":2dq857xu said:
I got bored to distraction with their obsession with reviews of combination machines. Every month there seemed to be another 4 pages devoted to a machine which no-one buys and no-one wants!
Dan
Dan,
I think there's quite a number of firms who'd disagree with that statement, you only have to look at the Metabo & Fox etc etc recent foray into this market. They must know something............

Felder have gone from an average size firm selling combo's to selling huge CNC, and stand alone heavy industrial machinery all built on the back of selling lots of erm.....combination machines.

I think all mags have a finite limit on most peoples interest threshold over time, me included, I,m not sure I'll be renewing when the current sub runs out.

I prefer the American mags, but even they are stretching my attention span these days.

ProShop":2r6u2lzh said:
I think all mags have a finite limit on most peoples interest threshold over time, me included, I,m not sure I'll be renewing when the current sub runs out.

I prefer the American mags, but even they are stretching my attention span these days.

Couldn't have put that better myself! :D

Back