Extraordinary Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
F&C has just dropped onto the mat today. If you need to see how high to set the bar have a look at the article on p46....furniture which is simply staggering :shock: Would be great to get some comment on the pieces in the article, eg stuff by Makepeace, Varah, Grierson and Richard Williams to name a few - Rob

Rob

You are right - staggering stuff. Interestingly though while the making and execution is not for question, I only like a few. I would be interested to know which were from commission and which were exhibition pieces.

Cheers

Tim

These are some of our best contemporary artist craftsmen.

The particular pieces are mostly not my favorite examples from each maker, but they are all prepared to take risks.

Generally I find that I like about 1/4 to 1/3rd of most makers output.

Will be playing the "which one could we live with if we could afford it" game at Cheltenham on Saturday.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Dom,
It's Betty Norbury's annual bash - well worth attending! Called the Celebration of Craftsmanship and Design it is held at Cheltenham College (Thirlstane Gallery).

There is usually some stunning stuff as well as the odd thing that causes you to wonder why it's there!

Runs from 18/8 to 28/8 10:00 to 16:00 daily.

Yes, its the diversity of quality and style that makes it so interesting.

A chance to see more pieces at one time than any where else?

If interested in the state of contemporary artist craftspersons I would say it is a must.

There is of course a website and it runs for ten days from Saturday, cost about £5 entry which gets you in and a cataloge with some pictures and prices, which will no doubt astonish some!

David
http://www.celebrationofcraftsmanship.com

Is there a prevailing trend in modern furniture ie is there a way that the kind of furniture that is shown in the article could be described? Or will it simply become 'post millenium Elizabethan' or some such after a period of time has passed.

Cheers

Tim

tim":e7sa6kfh said:
Is there a prevailing trend in modern furniture ie is there a way that the kind of furniture that is shown in the article could be described? Or will it simply become 'post millenium Elizabethan' or some such after a period of time has passed.

Cheers

Tim
I rather see that sort of stuff as Krenov imitation (now I know what he's about :lol: ) plus a large element of surrealism - all those tense shapes and that desperate self defeating struggle to be different.
Not for me. Not for hardly anybody at those prices!

cheers
Jacob

Stunning pieces :shock:

I only wish I could get to see them in person. Its a pesky thing this work thing :evil:

Just bought my copy of F&C, Rob. Agreed, there's some stunning stuff in this latest issue. I was also pleased to see another article in John Bullar's Apprentice series - chairs and curves this time. It's really good to see these basic techniques covered - without the basic skills you have nothing.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back