Everest front door, £4,250?!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

A relative has just ordered a new front door from Everest, the price is £4,250, WTF??!!!! :evil:

It's white PVCu with a small glass panel near the top, "sealed unit type: energy saver plus", also "cladding - roofline (front).

I had a look at one of the DIY sheds and PVCu front doors go from £200 to £650. Are they charging £2,000 for fitting (the home visit salesman prob got £1,000 commision)?

BTW there's nothing wrong with the current door, except the small panels have some slight splits at the end grain edge, which is easily fixable, I would have thought. I think the relative just wants to spend some money.

JohnPW":1fl6wutz said:
Hello all,

A relative has just ordered a new front door from Everest, the price is £4,250, WTF??!!!! :evil:

It's white PVCu with a small glass panel near the top, "sealed unit type: energy saver plus", also "cladding - roofline (front).

I had a look at one of the DIY sheds and PVCu front doors go from £200 to £650. Are they charging £2,000 for fitting (the home visit salesman prob got £1,000 commision)?

BTW there's nothing wrong with the current door, except the small panels have some slight splits at the end grain edge, which is easily fixable, I would have thought. I think the relative just wants to spend some money.

They have 7 days to cancel if they were approached, if they contacted Everest there is no cancellation time at all. They have been royally ripped off.

Oh yeah there's a %25 "discount" of £1,600 otherwise it would have been £5,900!

On the back of the form/purchase agreement theres a 7 days "notice of the right to cancel notice" box, which means they can cancel even if they contacted Everest, I hope. And that's how it should be.

The worrying thing is I'm not sure the relative wants to cancel. Before making the order, I did tell them the B and Q down the road sell doors starting from £200.

JohnPW":1xz3jxe0 said:

On the back of the form/purchase agreement theres a 7 days "notice of the right to cancel notice" box, which means they can cancel even if they contacted Everest, I hope. And that's how it should be.

The worrying thing is I'm not sure the relative wants to cancel. Before making the order, I did tell them the B and Q down the road sell doors starting from £200.

Sorry but that's there for people who have been canvassed. The law says that if you contacted the seller then you instigated the deal, therefore weren't pressured. No cancellation if they rang Everest.

Any window company will do the job for £1000 or less. The Everest stuff is good.....but not that good!

It may be worth contacting TS's, they 're also interested in shysters as well as poor workmen.
Average pvc door s & f'd should be no more than £1200, if composite max £1800 and these are at the top end.
However if they are of sound mind etc.............

Hi John

what you don't give is the extent of the cladding which might well cost as much as the door.

It will probably be a composite door which are a bit more expensive than PVCu but they are still being stuffed even by Everest standards. A friend had an Alpine door fitted a few years back which cost him £1800 and that was comparible quality and still way over priced. I would expect to pay no more than £1500 to £2000 for a top spec door.

As an example, I'm building a largish stone porch for a customer and here is a pic taken yesterday of the 4 windows and 1 composited door I'm busy fitting. All excellent quality from a manufacturer I've used for years including on my own house. I've charged including manufacture delivery of 75 miles (but excluding fitting as part of the build costs), at £2236 FOR THE LOT which is 1 door and 2 small / 2 large windows, and I've made a very healthy profit indeed on it. My customers are delighted!

I suggest they stronly query the price.

Cheers
Bob

Grayorm":1znielzz said:
JohnPW":1znielzz said:

Sorry but that's there for people who have been canvassed. The law says that if you contacted the seller then you instigated the deal, therefore weren't pressured. No cancellation if they rang Everest.

Any window company will do the job for £1000 or less. The Everest stuff is good.....but not that good!

I felt sick in the stomach after reading that. I'm thinking if the customer can cancel if the company made the first contact then surely the customer can also cancel if they contacted the company first. In fact the customer has the same rights in both situations.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/c ... p_sale.htm

What if I make an appointment over the phone?

If you make an appointment for someone to call at your home or workplace over the phone and then sign up for something at home or work, this is a doorstep sale.

If you buy something over the phone without someone calling at your home or workplace, this is another type of sale called a distance sale. Distance sales also give you extra rights to cancel, but these are slightly different from doorstep sales.

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/your-right-cancel
Contracts made at home (or at your workplace)
Since October 2008 there are improved cancellation rights if you agree to buy something during a visit by a trader, whether or not you invited the trader to visit.
If you make a contract for over £35 with a trader in your own home (or someone elses), or at your workplace, for goods and/or services:

You have, in most cases, a seven day cooling off period in which you can change your mind and cancel.
The rules only apply if the contract is agreed while the trader is with you.
These cancellation rights do not apply if the trader visits and later sends you a written quotation, which you accept by phone or in writing when he is not present.
The trader must give you a written notice of your cancellation rights, including a cancellation form, which explains how you can cancel. If the trader fails to give you this written information he commits a criminal offence and does not have a legal right to demand payment. Contact Trading Standards if this happens to you.
You must cancel in writing. Cancellation takes effect the day you send the letter, not the day the trader receives it. Keep a copy and get proof of posting.
If you buy something online, by phone, fax, mail order or TV at home without any face-to-face contact with the trader you still usually have a right to change your mind and cancel but the rules are different. The trader must still send you written details of your right to cancel.
If you make a credit or hire agreement at home you still have a cooling off period but the rules are different. Your right to cancel must be set out in the agreement.
Never agree to work being done by a cold caller, however tempting or convenient it seems.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/
Buying from a doorstep seller

If you have bought something costing more than £35.00 from a trader as a result of a visit to your home or place of work (whether or not the visit was requested by you), you will be protected by the Doorstep selling Regulations – or to give it its proper title: The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer’s Home or Place of Work etc Regulations 2008. These regulations give you a cooling off period of 7 calendar days during which time you have the right to cancel and get a full refund. Just as with the Distance Selling Regulations, you must have been provided with a notice of your cancellation rights, otherwise the agreement may be legally unenforceable

More info:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/c ... ntract.htm

Surely some mistake? I get annoyed when people charge 1K+ for one of those pig ugly piles of rubbish, if they want to waste money cant they go on a couple of holidays instead?

:shock:

If they tell Everest they are having second thoughts (assuming they haven't paid yet) the price will quickly drop.

I knew an Everest salesman, he was one of the top ten salesmen in the country, he has won an all expenses paid holiday to Monaco, a new Mini and numerous other high quality prizes, Everest stuff is good quality but not worth the money they charge, also if you can cancel the price will drop, by a large amount.

Baldhead

JohnPW":33m6lksb said:
If you have bought something costing more than £35.00 from a trader as a result of a visit to your home or place of work (whether or not the visit was requested by you), you will be protected by the Doorstep selling Regulations – or to give it its proper title: The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer’s Home or Place of Work etc Regulations 2008. These regulations give you a cooling off period of 7 calendar days during which time you have the right to cancel and get a full refund. Just as with the Distance Selling Regulations, you must have been provided with a notice of your cancellation rights, otherwise the agreement may be legally unenforceable

More info:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/c ... ntract.htm[/quote]

Thanks for that info. I was unaware of the change in October '08. Prior to that you were tied to the deal if you invited them in.

My experience of buying a door isn't as bad, but I should have been more switched on.

We got cold called outside the supermarket by a door\window firm and as we had planned to replace our front door we agreed for someone to come out for a quote.

The chap came over stating they had an offer on composite doors that week and he quoted us £1200, reduced from 2500.

So we went for it the door was installed and we were happy.

Two years later, the door is damaged by some building work we have done, the builder accepts responsibility and agrees to replace.

Cost for replacement to the builder......... £400! Albeit no labor in that.

Apart for some detail in the glass it is exactly the same door.

You've said in your posts that you're unsure if the relative actually wants to cancel & that they may just want to pay silly money for it.

If they want to spend stupid money then why get in a tizz. Surely it's your relatives problem if they are getting shafted not yours. Don't get me wrong, it would be a shame for them to go through with it and rightly so your worried about it but sometimes there is no telling someone if they "just want to spend the money" to perhaps show off!

Unless of course it could be future inheritance they are spending! ;-)

Let me guess, this is an elderly relative?
My Grandad has wasted shed loads of money paying way over the odds for things in recent years. (hes in his 90s)

Latest was 2 small electric heaters, 3k or so iirc.
I priced up the equivalent heaters, about £600. Wiring in place already, just mount on the wall, and get a spark to connect... £1k tops, but he wasnt interested, hed fallen for the sales mans pitch. They gave him a £500 off voucher for the next order he places, generous eh :shock:

Mind you, hes been buying packets of sweets for £10 a pop, £4.95 delivery, and £2.95 to fast track the order so he gets into the prize draw for the non existent £8000. :x :x
No matter who tells him, no matter what leaflets or reports we give him, he just wont have it. :roll:

Hitch":3ldh46hg said:
My Grandad has wasted shed loads of money paying way over the odds for things in recent years. (hes in his 90s)

I priced up the equivalent heaters, about £600. Wiring in place already, just mount on the wall, and get a spark to connect... £1k tops, but he wasnt interested, hed fallen for the sales mans pitch. They gave him a £500 off voucher for the next order he places, generous eh :shock:

Mind you, hes been buying packets of sweets for £10 a pop, £4.95 delivery, and £2.95 to fast track the order so he gets into the prize draw for the non existent £8000. :x :x
No matter who tells him, no matter what leaflets or reports we give him, he just wont have it. :roll:

I don't know whats worse, the fact that he's at the point where he doesn't realise or the lack of morals of the people taking his money. Does he have dementia?

Grayorm":34jp2q2r said:
Hitch":34jp2q2r said:

I don't know whats worse, the fact that he's at the point where he doesn't realise or the lack of morals of the people taking his money. Does he have dementia?

I'm not sure it needs to be dementia.

My 86 year old mother in law is pretty switched on for her age but luckily we've drummed into her to run everything past us before she does anything and the result is a string of scams that she would have fallen for.

The last was an unsolicited clothing catalogue through the door which would if she placed an order for £30 "give her foc" a smart TV worth £1500. The key was she needed to order immediately and she was desperate to do so.
It wasn't until I pointed out that probably everyone in the estate got the same catalogue, they didn't have her name, and how on earth could she expect to get a free tv worth 50x more than the cardigan she would buy, did she begin to see it as it was.

She doesn't need the cardigan or the TV and is financially comfortable but the scams target the greedy side of human nature which can't resist a "bargain".

Bob

Grayorm":5k52516u said:
Hitch":5k52516u said:

Sharp as a pin really. Not dementia, said that to the wife. Shes junior management in a dementia care home, so knows a bit about it.
I think people of that generation just dont expect other people to be so dishonest... they tend believe anything these offers are real.
Heading a bit of a tangent from the main post here, sorry!

Purchasing PVCu doors (or windows) can be a minefield, at the Council we were members of the South London Window Association a body designed to bring uniformity into the process. Standardising locks catches etc. and I would attend the meetings. What I found was there is a fast difference in quality in the products both in material adn quality of material, construction and source of material and price. I have to say that Everest were always expensive always failed to make the lists. We were always being checked over by The Friends of the Earth mainly on the source of the plastic (chemicals) as in the 90’s a lot of the material was coming from Eastern Europe where pollution was not a priority. All factory’s had to be checked out. We had some hairy demonstrations to contend with. Some groups are against PVCu no matter what. When the orders were placed a process was entered with tenants who had taken up the option of “Right to Buy” and they would be given the cost buy which they would be charged and then the arguments would start! On average the cost of a front door was in the region of £2,000 pounds. The first complaint would be, there’s a bloke out side our supermarket offering me a door for £500.00 and then we would have discussions on quality security etc. an important factor on an inner London Estate. My point is there are many factors in the price of a PVCu door and If your relation wants to cancel then cancel, the Law will I am sure back him up.
Cheers

Back