Ernest Joyce books - I am confused.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frugal

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am trying to add a few things to the Christmas list, and one of the things I was going to add was a copy Joyce's "Bible". However there appear to be multiple books that all look the same (and none of them are currently published).

Am I right in thinking that the following books are all effectively the same book:

• - Encyclopedia of Furniture by Joyce Ernest (Hardcover - 1 Sep 1979)
  • - The Technique of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce and Alan Peters (Hardcover - 30 April 1987)
  • - Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce and Alan Peters (Paperback - Nov 1989)
  • - Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce, Alan Peters and Patrick Spielman (Paperback - Mar 2000)
  • - The Technique of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce and Alan Peters (Paperback - 20 Mar 2003)

So 1979 is the original, then it appears to have been republished as two different versions in 1987 and 1989, and then both 1987 and 1989 were republished in 2000 and 2003

So what is the difference between Techniques and Encyclopaedia? Is there a difference?

Yep, the latest edition is the fourth one (revised by Alan Peters). Someone also told me that the Encyclopedia of Furniture Making is an identical to the Technique of Furniture Making although, I can't be sure...? :?

OPJ":27p0gsyy said:
Yep, the latest edition is the fourth one (revised by Alan Peters). Someone also told me that the Encyclopedia of Furniture Making is an identical to the Technique of Furniture Making although, I can't be sure...? :?

I think you are right on both

Yes as someone who bought both (by mistake) they are the same.

The Book Despository had the Encyclopedia for sale a week or so ago?

Rod

F - I'd suggest you get hold of the latest version (the one by the late AP)...I have an original hb version from the early 70's which is getting very tatty now. Indispensable though - Rob

Everywhere seems to be out of stock of Techniques 2003, but a couple of places have Encyclopaedia 2000, so I think I will add that to the Christmas list.

I've had this on my shopping list for a while. I do have a pdf version but ?I find it quite useful to have a paper version as well.

jhwbigley":196x2zj0 said:
I've herd its also called the "bible" by some

JHB
I'm not sure about calling it the 'Bible' but it's certainly a central ref book that ought to be in every serious woodies bookcase - Rob

Maybe I'm not a serious woodworker. But I find it really hard going. I much prefer Hylton's book (American, I know). But to be honest, there's very little information in either book that I haven't picked up in easier to understand English on the web.

I've got it, but I can't say its something I look at very often, if at all. Its not exactly easy reading.

Ed

jhwbigley":2nf2ekqi said:
EdSutton":2nf2ekqi said:
I've got it, but I can't say its something I look at very often, if at all. Its not exactly easy reading.

Ed

maybe why its called the bible?

Well yes, now you say that there are some similarities - not enough pictures, small writing... :lol:

Ed

Back