EPDM Roof and Trees!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul200

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the design stage of my new workshop and considering roofing materials. The site for the workshop is partially under two large Maple trees which occasionally shed small branches and twigs. Before you ask, I can't relocate the site. EPDM is very new to me as a roofing material so I have a couple of questions:

1. Can EPDM be used on a dual pitch roof? I'm sure I've only ever seen it on flat roofs.

2. Does anyone know how EPDM will stand up to a branch landing on it end-on, say? I think I know the answer but the benefit of experience is always welcome :)

Thanks in advance

Paul

Epdm is of course used for flat roofs but there is no reason it cant be used in any application, pitched or vertical. On a steep pitch I suppose theres a slight risk of the material creeping in hot weather -best to discuss with a supplier

If you are worried about it getting pierced go for the thicker option 1.52mm it would a big heavy brach to make a tear in even the thinner epdm. Its pretty tough really, maybe standing a metal ladder on top of it would pierce a hole through with the weight of a person but not much else. If a tree branch is big enough to damage it, I would imagine it would damage most roof coverings.

If you ever get a hole, it can be patched anyway.

https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/classicbond

As I see it EPDM is used on flat roofs for its waterproofing qualities.

If the roof is pitched an overlap of the tiles or use of continuous roofing sheets will provided the waterproofing probably at lower cost and I would have thought for a longer time without maintenance.

Brian

EPDM is not that expensive compared to other materials except perhaps felt. It's very durable, easy to lay and should be good for 30 to 50yrs

Mine is under a Hawthorne and has suffered no damage.

Rod

Mine's been up this last winter, it's under a sycamore and two horse chestnuts, all big mature tall trees, the roof had two dead branches impact it, both about 30mm diameter at the root and 2-3m long. Had a good look but could see no obvious damage, concern is a pin hole leak that's not obvious to the eye but still will result in water ingress. Inside is not lined yet and I've seen no obvious water marks appearing on the inside of the OSB. We will know in ten years if it's ok!

Fitz

Thanks guys. Still not convinced about using it on a dual pitch roof but it seems that it can withstand direct hits from ICBM's (Inter Continental Branch Missiles). Back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Paul

Paul200":2zn5hwb8 said:
Thanks guys. Still not convinced about using it on a dual pitch roof but it seems that it can withstand direct hits from ICBM's (Inter Continental Branch Missiles). Back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Paul

I'm in the process of sorting out my workshop build, and have had the same thoughts about the roofing.

This video shows how to use EPDM on a pitched re-roof youtube . com/watch?v=O0hpJdl6iUQ

Being a newbie the forum won't allow me to post a link, so you will have to remove the spaces.

John

Your choice of roof covering depends upon what the supporting structure is so you need to factor it all in to your project cost. I have worked in teh metal roofing industry fro teh last 25 years and always recommend a foam insulated panel which cost around £20/m2 but that includes all your structure, internal liner (painted) insulation and 25 year guarantee outer. EPDM membranes are extremely tough and will definately do the job

Back