Emergency stop switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidanB

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and already looking for help :D

I'm having trouble finding somewhere online that sell those big emergency stop foot switches probably 5'' in diameter that you can just kick. I've tried locally to no success so if anybody could point me in the right direction id really appreciate it

RussianRouter":3jmps2b4 said:
The hand is quicker than the foot,I'd never use a floor safty switch because you have to look for it were as a visible one is second nature. :)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 080/p78722

Thats like saying you would use the handbrake before the foot brake . . . . . . .

Foot it much better because sometimes you can get yourself in a sticky situation where if you let go somethings going to go wrong. A big hanging kick stop over the button does the same job but only cost a hing and a bit of wood, I can't find a picture but basically a bit of wood hinged to the bottom of your table saw or spindle moulder etc where above the normal stop switch, a hole over the button so you can press go easily, but if you kick it the whole thing swings back and hits the larger higher emergency stop.

Thats like saying you would use the handbrake before the foot brake . . . . . . .

Well isn't there some truth in that? in a skid you would use the handbrake to control the skid.

To each their own method of an emergency cut off,but I do know that my hand is quicker reaching for the button than my foot is fumbling around below.

When we're in the dark our first instinct is to use the hands for guidance.

RussianRouter":3kg7ctk0 said:

Well isn't there some truth in that? in a skid you would use the handbrake to control the skid.

To each their own method of an emergency cut off,but I do know that my hand is quicker reaching for the button than my foot is fumbling around below.

lol!

RussianRouter":2r6nxw4t said:

I use a series of high pitched squeeks.

I would agree though that stop switches should be located where you are most used to finding them. The reason it's so instinctive to use a brake pedal in a car is because it's always there and you always use it. If a car (usually a BMW or Audi) pulls out in front of you with far too little room in the mistaken belief they have the same magic acceleration that they do brakes that allow them to stop in the 15' they've left between them and your bumper at 75mph on the M3 (I digress) you flinch onto the brake pedal not the handbrake. I have almost never used an emergency stop but the ones on the floor would probaby be my last thought, the first one being the stop swith located right next to the once I used to switch the machine on in the first place.

Aidan

I see what your saying, but don't you ever get those times when its not an emergency as such like someone pulling out more that your hands are tied up holding the work pieces?

generally speaking no as if you can't move the workpiece past the cutter and leave it somewhere stable and safe you perhaps shouldn't have started the cut in the first place

Aidan

if you cant decide which switch is safer and you like wiring use a safety wire system that runs full length of the workshop (like a washing line) when you pull it it operates a safety switch locking out whatever you wire it to .

Hi Sheik Hans.

I'm scratchin me head here, but how will this help when someone is using a Table Saw/Bench Saw ect and they're using two hands to guide the material through?

The only way I see it working is to have the wire in the hand all the time or strap to their leg/waist where about does the wire reside? :lol:

Can you enlighten us please with more detail.

Cheers.

now i didnt say it was going to be any better ..... you can always pull it with a piece of wood . Ok i admit it i didnt think that one thru for table saw use .It works well on production lines though....

Back