Elm Sideboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started cutting all the dovetails on the drawer fronts, taking ages, but turning out ok. I started removing the waste with a coping saw, but gave up and just removed everything with the chisels. Saved some time, but still only managed to do 2 full fronts and one half drawer done in around 4 hrs. just pushed them together a little so see the effect in the carcass. Have the " tip on " Blum fixings bought from Isaac Lord and the drawer runners. and look like they will work perfectly with the design. I'll try to remember to take some pic's of them.

qx84fo.jpg

Took a picture of the Blum fixtures, one open, one closed and the runner being used. none of these should be visible in normal operation, though the pistons for the doors will be seen.

35m2plw.jpg

Yes, it's still time consuming marking them out after deciding spacings etc. The cutting and removal of the waste is very repetitive when cutting so many, 60 tails in the 3 drawers alone, but they fit pretty much straight away with only very minor paring to the sockets. I'll be glad when I've finished them all tomorrow and can rout the stopped groove for the panel and then start fitting them and the doors to the carcass. I'm trying hard to finish it all by Friday. :oops:

But worth all the hard work - I reckon it's going to look really classy with all those dovetails when it's finished.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Got close to finishing today but still a few things left. Need to fit the partition to be able to hang the middle door, rout a groove in the back for the back panel to sit in, fit the runners and pop open pistons which work better than expected and glue up the drawers, just ran out of time! :cry:

The finish will be satin 2 pack and will even up the colour difference in the pictures. Will post the pics when its all done.

waspd3.jpg

108bql5.jpg

1z3ciu8.jpg

I had no idea until recently that elm could be such a pipper to work with. Looks like the finished result will definitely be worth all the effort though! :wink:

Those sash cramps in one of your photo's on the third page, are they of the cheap Toolstation Silverline variety? I bought some recently and they appear to offer very good value for money. I really don't like the cheap aluminium Record ones, personally.

Sorry Olly, no idea what make the Sash Clamps are I have some Records which are ok, but was told by Dom who used to post here that the best value for money were, maybe an own brand, sold by Tilgear, though I think they were Aluminium. I'll find out if you want? I personally won't make anything ever again in Elm unless I'm paid very well for the added stress! The Burr veneer is some of the nicest I've seen though and would look ok when used with some other more stable woods. The photo's don't really show the colours and details. Thanks for looking and the comments, ditto to everyone else who has too!

Thanks, I have a Tilgear catalogue somewhere so I'll have a quick browse myself later. The Toolstation "Expert Sash Cramps" are apparently made from "bright drawn serrated steel with cast iron cramp heads" and they don't appear to flex even half as much as the cheaper aluminium Record's.

This burr does indeed look lovely and I've just realised that you used the same length of timber for the drawer fronts; very nice touch. :)

Been a while since I updated. Been gluing up drawers, fitting the partition for the middle door to hang on, routing a groove all round the back for the Birch back panel to fit into, I think it makes the spaces brighter when opened? and holes for the Tip on pistons, one for each door and drawer. They have quite a powerful action, and it may be that I could have used the smaller type ! I've also made some shelves, one to fit permanently to the big space and an adjustable one for the single space.The runners for the drawers need to be screwed in place, but that should be the last thing other than sanding before the finishing begins.

Making a start on a TV/ Hifi cabinet, in Sycamore, I'm thinking of Burr Poplar panels for the doors and side panels as it contrasts very nicely with Sycamore. Got the wood all sized, but leaving it to settle before cutting to length.
20prnkl.jpg

2mmxras.jpg

wqudef.jpg

Been on holiday and was then ill for a while so did not finish the sideboard till today. It still has to have the finish applied but I thought I'd try something different and video the drawer and door opening mechanisms working and post them on youtube. I can't figure out how to make this play directly here so just provided the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSnQlBCLc4

I'll post the pic's of the item when finish has been applied the as at the moment it looks a little odd with different lighting and my photography skill are very poor.

Back