Electrical woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots to think about there Stoday, I'll look at upgrading the 20A to a 30A in the new CU in the house, reducing the main ring to a 20A MCB in the workshop ( I can't ever see me using up to 4.6KW (assuming the dedicated tablesaw radial when running won't add to this figure?) and provide a 16A dedicated radial for the 3 HP table saw.

With this proposal would I be getting nearer what is considered good practice?

Many thanks Stoady,

I 've been out and purchased the 16 & 20A mcbs for the W/S CU.

Just need to source a 30A for the House now.

Thanks again.

David

Coming in late David, but good luck on this. Your situation is quite similar to where I have been in recent weeks in trying to figure out how to get the supply to my workshop set up too.

It's been a bit of a learning road, but the help I've had from the guys here has been great.

What turns it all a bit grey and fuzzy is that in the end there's not necessarily too many nicely packaged black and white answers about at the level of 'do this and you'll definitely be OK'.

Not in my case anyway, where the constraints of the existing domestic installation, and the vagaries of maximum demand have to be factored in.

It's instead much more conditional - more about finding a solution that simultaneously satisfies the guidelines/safety/technical constraints in the context of your particular needs.

It's not rocket science, but it takes a bit of getting into. It's been an interesting and highly educational experience....

Ian,
I agree not rocket sceince but potentially a danger if not done correctly. As long as it is safe (doesn't cause fires or injury through shocks I am content)

It has been a learning curve but one I have enjoyed. This I must say is about my limit, running cable, installing the sockets, CU etc has been satisfying but anything more than this would need the attention of a qualified spark.

I agree, the level of knowledge and willingness by the guys to offer their advice and assistance on here is quite staggering. I for one have learned a great deal and apply some of my new found skills regularly.

Good luck with your project. Now that I have power I can potter around in the warmth and dry now that the dark nights are here again.

Cheers

david

I think we are all willing to help each other, but even 'experts' will argue over details. Normal domestic circuits have fallen into a recognised pattern over the years, but as ondablade pointed out, once you move out of that 'comfort zone' things become a little more problematical....

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6852

Roy.

Back