egg shell paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - sorry if covered before but why does this stuff take so long to properly go off - I sprayed cabinet doors on Saturday and they're dry to the touch but if leave them touching anything they kind of stick to it and if they're there for any length of time they proper stick and bits of paint pull off

Trouble is I can't paint the second side until the first stops attaching itself to anything it rests on and I've got fifty doors and drawer pulls getting properly in the way

anything I'm missing? I can't fit them to the cabinets as they're not all in place yet - and they'd stick to the edges anyway wherever they touched

any good ideas appreciated

Doh - of course left out the info needed
So it was Johnsons' acrylic eggshell mixed to a F&B colour from brewers. Sprayed on with the graco ultra airless thinnest coat I could get. On a base of quick dry water based primer undercoat Albany brand also from brewers.
Egg shell said touch dry in two hours and recoat in four. It was touch dry in about twenty minutes it was so hot. It's fine to handle but has got this sticky attraction to objects it rests against.
I'm going to leave it for the week before doing the other side but what faff. Can't believe its used so much if that's what it always does hence maybe I'm doing something stupid

Hi, what are the doors made from ?
I've used the products same as you over the years with no problems !

Hi thanks.
The doors are pine with birch ply panels. The pine is from those glued up pine boards from wenban smith nice and consistent sizes pre sanded and cheap
No idea about the paint details, they ordered in the acrylic base which is in a Johnson's tin and then mixed up the colour to match the F&B number. I did use F&B as a trial on one practice door and it took weeks to harden, part of the reason I didn't use it, and ridiculous price of course
Ta

We spray a lot of water base paint and mostly use acrylic eggshell now. ( and before anyone starts on about AC we use this as well on some work)

We used to use F&B Estate eggshell as well , but started to have major drying issues at the end of last year which we could not find a way around, and decided not to use it any longer and get the colours mixed.

Acrylic eggshells we generally use are Little Greene, Paint and Paper library and if we need a colour mixed Leyland.

We have not tried the Johnstones one.

We find that there can be a couple of things that effect the drying, heat and humidity being the main one.

If it is very hot and humid we sometimes find that the paint will become touch dry and then stay sticky, I think this is due to the top layer drying too fast, the only solution if this has happened is to wait for it to harden.

Also we have found that if you put on lots of thin coats with the paint neat it can also do this.

The colour can make a difference to the drying time as well.

At a start of a job we normally will paint 1 door or large flat sample first to see what happens.

We use a gun with a pressurised pot and generally thin it 9:1 paint to water and this makes life a lot easier.

It is a case of experimenting with the set up you have and the make of paint you are using, to see what works.

One final thing we came across, was on some paint the customer provided, the undercoat for the make of paint seemed to slow down the drying as well for some strange reason, the way we got around this was to use a precat under coat.

I like the acrylic eggshells though as they give a nice finish and also are easy to touch up if something is marked during fitting.

Hi Tom - thanks for that I appreciate it
I suspect then that it dried too fast and then wouldn't go any further - it was minging hot when I was spraying at the weekend - at least I know I've not done something badly wrong
hopefully it'll cool down a bit for next weekend - not likely in Sussex!!
I don't mind waiting it's just the damn things have taken over the entire garage - even with the Peter Miller drying rack I put in

Cheers for help everyone

Back