Edwardian MDF?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a copy of "The Handyman's Enquire Within" edited by Paul Hasluck, dated 1908. I was intrigued by this entry, under the heading of "False Antique Furniture":

The manufacture of false antique furniture is an industry on a somewhat large scale in America, and probably in Great Britain also. Poplar, bass and white maple are the most suitable woods for the purpose... Sawdust is also largely used, being reduced to a pulp and made into sheets under pressure so great that all subsequent warping is prevented. The wood is made to assume the particular "antique" colour desired by boiling in dye for one hour.

It goes on to describe how various colours are achieved, followed by steaming, sizing, glazing and artificial tarnishing and ends with the laconic statement The article is ready for sale when sufficient dust has collected upon it.

I wonder if any furniture restorers have come across this stuff? If you could boil it for an hour without it falling apart, it sounds rather good!

Sounds an interesting book - I have his patternmakers handybook and enjoy his writing style.
I'm sure I've come across that material in old books, plimberite? I'm very cautious of working with 20th century mystery composites - so many had Asbestos in them. From reading old books and catalogues seems companies were innovating with new cheap wonder materials with space age names
Matt

Hi AndyT

I have been in the restoration game since the early 60`s. Have used lots of the edwardian furniture as breakers a cheap sorce of older timber.
I don`t rember anything that looked like old mfi (maybe I thought it had been repaired with it) and bined it as of no use.
Mind you they had many clever uses in the way they made things.

regards
Norman

Back