Ebonised carved bowl with sphere on Ash base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Been unable to post any work for a while but made this piece today.

It is a ebonised spalted beech bowl with a cut out. The sphere is spalted beech and adds both contrast to the dark form of the bowl and compliments the ash base.

It measures around 150xx in length by 120mmm high.

Take care

Mark

3ed.jpg

2ed.jpg

1ed.jpg

4ed.jpg

A stunning piece once again. Thats fantastic ! 8)

Sometimes - a little bit of 'layman's feedback' is good to hear ok ---
I showed a non-woodworking pal of mine your work at the weekend.
He's not a technical lad, but has a good eye for things that are 'nice' ...
On seeing your work, his jaw was hanging open and he was stunned.

I showed him your stuff, Mark Hancock's stuff and Richard Shock's stuff...

he loved it all...

Its good to know just how much you guy's work can impact on someone when they see it.

People genuinely love it. I thought I should let you know that ! .
( will try and get him to actually 'buy' something too, if i can ! :D :D :D )

Lovely shape, form and finish....as always. I'm not sure whether you engender inspiration or desperation Mark. Only joking, keep posting

Pete

Lovely piece Mark, gives us something to aim for. :D

I think your forms are stunning and the effect is outstanding.

Regards,

Mike C

Jenx

Thank you very much for your kind words. :oops: :oops:

Pete and Mikec

thank you also for your kind comments.

Pete have you been speaking to my good lady, she says something similar but normally with steam coming out of her ears. :D

M

Lovely looking piece Mark :D
Very pleasing to the eye.
I hope you don't mind me saying-
It reminds me of a birds nest with the bird tending to it's egg :D
What tool do you use to do the cut outs Mark :?:

Paul.J":2jidl7qr said:
Lovely looking piece Mark :D
Very pleasing to the eye.
I hope you don't mind me saying-
It reminds me of a birds nest with the bird tending to it's egg :D
What tool do you use to do the cut outs Mark :?:

Hi

No I do not mind at all. It pleases me when people see different things in what I do that is the fun of sculptural pieces. It allows the mind to delve deeper.

Thank you for the comment.

I am a bit of s butcher when it comes down to the cut outs. I use a fine blade in my bosch jig saw. I hold the piece in on hand wearing a leather gardening glove and I cut away. Or for larger pieces I do it on the lathe.

then I use a Foredom rotary carver with a burr on it to blend the edges in after which I use a small hook and loop arbour with 120 grit down to 320 then spray. I don;t go down to fine or the surface is not keyed enough for the spray to attach. Or that is my excuse any how

:lol:

M

George

Hi ya. I hope you are well.

Thank you very much for your comment.

M

Quite Simply stunning, love the shape, colour and the whole look of the piece, what can i say, with all this talent in this forum we will all be inspired to greatness.
many thanks for sharing..

Thanks Mark :D
I found some old pieces today when having a tidy up,so i might do a bit of sawing on them,just for practice of course:?

Hi Mark,

Your artistic pieces just blow me away, i have no idea where you get your inspiration from, but please keep going !!

Would you please note what spray/technique you use to ebonise ?

In Awe

Loz

steve

Paul.j

Loz

Mark

Thank you very much for all your kind comments.

Loz the finish I use is a can of Chestnut ebonising spray.

I finish the piece down to 320 and finish it by rubbing with the grain. I do not go any lower than 320 so that the spray has a good key/surface to adhere to.

Then I spray from around 200mm to give a good covering. Leave it for five minutes so that it becomes tacky. Then what I do is spray it again but from around 500mm distance which is too far normally. But this means that the paint beads and partially dries prior to hitting the base coat.

Build this up 3-4 times and you get a nice light absorbing black satin textured finish.

The result is a textured satin finish. The issue I have with black is it is a bit like a black car. The finish has to be absolutely perfect if you want a gloss look. The problem that I have found with this is that.

a/ a gloss finish reflects too much light for my liking and distracts the eye. My preferred satin/fine textured finish tones down the whole piece which I prefer.

b/ as soon as some one touches a black gloss finish you get a huge finger print. And it is a real pain to buff it back up again, so I have gone away from gloss on black.

I hope this helps.

M

absolutely outstanding mark,if some day I can produce somehting half as good as that I'll be one happy chappy. :D :D :D

That's a really lovely piece, Mark.

Is the beech ball inside attached, it makes me feel I want to roll it around inside the form.

tekno.mage

johnnyt

Gaz

Techno

Thank you very much for your comments

The sphere is not fixed in fact none of the pieces are. They have been left loose so that the piece can be moved around into different positions. It is quite fun as I have been altering it every time I walk past.

M

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :tongue9: =D> =D> =D>
WOW :!: It's beautiful Mark. 8) 8) 8)

Hi Mark,
As has already been stated, an awe-inspiring piece of work.
Now back to practicing coves and beads :cry:

Malc =D>

Back