ebay postage query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
I recently purchased a large job lot of good quality garden tools, rakes manure forks shovels ect.

I am struggling to find a cost efficient way of having these delivered as i'm getting silly quotes from all my usual places mainly due to the length.

for instance a manure fork is 150cm long 20cm wide at the fork end, and about 9cm high when flat on the the floor. which makes it about .27m3 and only weighing 2kg, i understand if this was in a proper box then it would be responsible for a lot of van space. but ultimately it wouldn't be, i'm getting quotes of 22 quid from parcel farce

but plenty of people are selling them for similar sort of money with free postage?

any ideas guys?

Adidat

Try Hermes. They do odd shaped bits quite easily. I always go to royal mail unless it is an odd shape.

Yeah thanks for the above, I mainly use parcel 2 go. But its the length that seems to exclude all options except parcel farce

Adidat

it is worth checking another broker. I had a lawnmower collected by my Hermes, through (I think) parcel monkey, when the option wasnt available through parcel 2 go.

also, if using my Hermes, I find that if you book directly, they want a weight band, but on P2G they ask for an exact weight. probably doesn't matter for getting the price, but it is less hassle when booking,

I don't know if you have overall commercial label services, but in the US we have some that you hear advertised on the radio, but then more obscure services (shippo is one here) that are really intended to work integrated in a website.

The ones intended for websites often have full commercial rates for you regardless of whether or not you ship 1 thing a month or 15 a week - they're super handy and if you "manually create an order" (using their terminology), you'll get about 6 options to ship something sorted in order of price.

That said, if you're shipping something that's a bit over one of the standard measurements for every one of them, then maybe none will have a good price, but aside from that, there seems to always be one shipping company around 2/3rds or half of everyone else. Ebay has gone wonky for me, either giving me nothing special as far as labels go, or quoting absurd amounts to buyers. I sold a chainsaw on ebay a couple of months ago and it sold, so I was happy. I thought it would sell faster. When I got notification that it sold, the buyer had paid $70 shipping and when I printed the label (same specs, same carrier, same weight, etc), the label was $27. I refunded the difference to the buyer. You're sort of hamstrung in that case because you can't see what a buyer sees, but if you add a low flat shipping to something large here, almost guaranteed (i'm on the east coast) someone in the pacific NW or California will buy it just because that end of the country is where half of the population is and they'll be up 3 hours later that day if you list in the evening.

BTDT, and you eat it in the other direction.

Back