early beveled edged paring chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
First off all a big thank you to Andy (tool n tat) for giving me the chance to bid on a box of assorted rusty metal at the recent David Stanley auction =D> =D> =D> . I would have missed this little treasure had it not been for Andy's eagle eye. Chisels from the early 18th century just don't surface very often, so getting this beauty made my day. It is of a rare form which has a hexagonal socket for the handle, and I made a quick mock up yesterday to give some prospective as to what it may have originally looked like. Apparently this form of socket would have been difficult to produce, and it soon went out of fashion to be replaced with the round variety.
I'm not sure it is quite correct to call it beveled edged, but they have defiantly been thinned down. Not by grinding, but beaten out on an anvil. To give you some idea of scale, the cutting edge is 2" wide, and the overall length is 7 1/2". The bottom face of the socket is in line with the back of the chisel, which cants it up at an angle. this leads me to think it was made for paring, and not designed to be struck with a mallet.
There is a makers mark, and I'm pretty sure it is the early mark of Thomas Hildik. Given all that I would tentatively put a date of about 1660 to 1720 o n its manufacture.
Before anyone asks, I shall not be sharpening this or or trying to flatten the back :wink:

Are you sure it's a chisel, I have a spade in my garden not much bigger than that!
Nice find though.

Good on ya Richard and so glad you have it up on the forum for the others to see 8)

Was a great day for all concerned and many thanks for the excess spoils you put my way, much appreciated =D>

Cheers
Andy

Another orphaned ancient tool has been spotted by a caring good shepherd, and taken back to its rightful home. Bravo!

Sorry I wasn't at this sale; I'll try harder in future!

That's nice!

The famous beveled edge chisel from the Nova Zembla expedition also has such an offset to one side.

Back