Dust protection when using Abranet handpiece.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blockplane

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to help run a little project with volunteers, which will amongst other things have them sanding down paint / varnishwork. I will lend my abranet blocks and hose and there is a 'Henry' on site to hook up to.

What would the 'industry standard' be for dust protection , over and above the vacuum? Plain 'cup' masks, or something more serious. Obviously there is a duty of care here, and it will be my head on the block if we don't comply whith H&S.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Rob

After doing a full written risk assessment you will have to show in it what risks (however small) and the measures you will take for their prevention. In order for your Public liability Insurance to be valid you will have to at the very least provide particulate filter protection. A cup mask of the appropriate spec will be more than suffcient. Although you may also want to consider eye protection as well (always presume people with little knowledge will do something they shouldn't).

Don't take any chances

443ca372410c1424ab93df5a5dff63cc.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Droogs":3ckakef5 said:
After doing a full written risk assessment you will have to show in it what risks (however small) and the measures you will take for their prevention. In order for your Public liability Insurance to be valid you will have to at the very least provide particulate filter protection. A cup mask of the appropriate spec will be more than suffcient. Although you may also want to consider eye protection as well (always presume people with little knowledge will do something they shouldn't).
It's easy to fall into all sorts of traps with this type of question without knowing exactly what's actually being done and for how long (20 minutes sanding skirting or all day just sanding 'stuff'?).

Sorry Droogs, I don't agree with the comment about PL insurance and particulate filter at all. As long as a (simple) risk assessment highlights the hazards and controls you'll be OK. See http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/resources.htm for some help on the assessment.

If it's older paintwork then be aware of the potential for lead and then you may well have to up levels of protection.

Eye protection for hand sanding (assumption on information provided)? Not even on my worst day!

Thanks all. Don't think our budget will run to Mark's suggestion :)

Fair comment Stuart - to elaborate :- Hand sanding to key ( and level a little bit of filler) some pieces are oak (more veneer than solid) some pine , currently varnished/lacquered. Then between coats sanding of new paintwork, in all probability water based acrylic.

Latest posts

Back