Dust extraction options.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abearablebear

Reaction score
Hello Folks.

I recently setteled in a proper workshop in a basement and started caring about dust extraction. I make architecture models, I don't make huge amount of chips. I mostly work with pine and sometimes MDF (which can make it quite bad.) I own a band saw, mitre saw, table saw, sander and a thickness planner which are small duty precise machines. I also have a larger table saw for pannel working and larger projects.
The basement is a sweet upgrade but it's not enormous (5m by 4m, 50m3 or 1800cf). Due to the layout of the space, I wasn't able to put all the machines at the same place. They lie on two benches 3m appart from each other. (the two table saws on one bench, the rest on the other one.) It's not possible to have them on the same exctractor without too many elbows imo.

A nice thing is that the basement is backed by a nuclear fallout shelter (common in switzerland) which has an oppening to the outside and is connected to the workshop with a 120mm vent. I have the possibility to vent dust outside but not to connect it to any machine.

According to the situation I was considering the following option.

- Getting a 550m3/h simple centrifugal extractor that I would install on the inside of the shelter on the 120mm vent. I would then install a Hepa filter on the other end of the vent inside the workshop. I recon this would allow to get rid of the fine particles flying in the room. It's also quite nice since the workshop has no oppening other than this vent and a door. It creates a small airflow that collects the dust and prevent them to get inside the house.

- Getting a 2000m3/h Torin extractor that I would connect on the two table saws. I think this would reduce quite nicely the sawdust produced by these saws. I was considering to make a cyclone vortex to put it after the extractor and put a 5 micron filter bag on one end and a waste bag on the other end of the cyclone.

- Connecting my old Axminster AWDE5002 Extractor to the remaining equipement (sander, bandsaw, mitresaw). I was concerned with this last bit. The Bandsaw and especially the sander are producing a dust that is too fine for the chip extractor. I could try get a cyclone vortex here too but 5 micron still isn't enough for the sander.

Do you think that venting outside the room is enough to cope up with this issue? Shall I rather get a vaccum cleaner that is Hepa rated and connect it to these three badboys?
Is there something wrong with the setup in general?

If someone has some time to answer these questions, it would be so great!
Thanks a lot

Best

A Vacuum cleaner is, as the name says, designed to create a vacuum.

For woodworking, you want a lot of air moving at a slightly lower pressure. Vacuum cleaners move little air at a higher vacuum. If the 2000 m3/h option is within budget and fits in the room and you can stand the noise, I'd go for it. A cyclone is definitely worth it to prevent your filter from clogging up.

Any option to move the extractor out of the basement should be investigated, as they always make a lot of noise.....

Back