Dust extraction grounding.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been doing a bit of shopping on Axminster website and I came across dust extraction grounding system.

Is it necessary to ground a system that uses plastic piping rather than metal?

Can anyone give any advice and if necessary, how and where on the ducting should ground wires be added?

Martin.

there have been a number of posts about extraction which might be worth checking. the principle of grounding is that there will be some electrostatic build up when the air and chippings flow. more likely is the bits blocking the pipes up and causing a heat build up.

although there are many apocryphal stories about plastic pipes blowing up, there seems to be little real evidence. however there is never anything wrong with grounding since it reduces risks.

almost any central heating installation, or update, or where rewiring takes place in a council/public housing situation requires the pipes to be grounded, which might be overkill, but reduces percieved risks.

hope that helps

paul :wink:

For me personally, I ran a thread of metal wire through the whole system when I first built it. When I changed the workshop around, I found that loads of shavings and bits were stuck in it, so never put it back in. I think over the small lengths in hobbiest workshops its unlikely to ever cause a problem. But then each person has to make their own decision.

Adam

Plastic is an insulator. You can't "ground" an insulator.
After 30 years plus, in the fire service I have never seen static electricity build up in plastic trunking of any sort. I have never seen or heard of plastic piping blowing up, or in any other direction.
Any way the static will build up on the inside of the pipe if caused by the shavings so "grounding the outside of the pipe will have no effect. Grounding the inside will lead to clogging, which will have an effect!
Spend your money on something more useful.
Just my minor input.

SF

I think static is connected with air temperature/humidity level. in the uk with our damp air --plastic should be ok.

Back