Dust cyclones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to jump in here late, not trying to be a Grade A silly person, but I did build a Pentz type cyclone in my Dungeon, works bloody great! :D

Dungeon Cyclone Build <- Lots of pics

There are a total of about 4 pages, sorry if they take a while to load, they are picture heavy

:oops:

cyclone_finished!.jpg

Excellent write up Stu and admirable sheet bashing skills too!

You may wish to know that the link from page 2 to 3 is not clickable or however that is referred to in HTML speak. Easy enough to get to page 3 by editing the URL for page 2 however so I could see the whole story (I'm using nutscrape if the problem is browser related)

Now I must really get off the interweb and into the workshop to do something today!

Bob

i have built my first cyclone. it was a mini for my record rsde1. plumbed into my 2.5" system it works a treat. it can be seen in the post entitles cyclone in the project plans forum

Fascinating stuff, Stu.

I've got a big 8 filter/4 bag conventional DC unit which I am thinking of moving to a purpose biult shed outside of the workshop in order to cut down on fine dust and noise, and to free up space.

This cyclone talk is making me think again.

Is a cyclone intrinsically more efficient in moving air, or is the advantage simply that not so much fine dust is expelled into the atmosphere?

If the latter, then my move outside would seem to solve the problem anyway, but I am intersted in any potential improvement in performance. I could use a lot of my DC system as parts for a cyclone.

Would it work putting a cyclone in the loft?

It is the blower not the cyclone that moves the air. The cyclone potentially removes more dust from the exhaust air.

Moving DC into anothe room or the ousdie is all very well but if you heat your workshop then all that warmed air is going to be sucked out very quickly and heating cost rise.
Put a cyclone inside the workshop ans relatively clean exhaust air is kept inside the workshop supplemented by the heat from the motor.

Bob

Hi Dan, you can certainly build a good cyclone that will have great separation, but you need a serious blower, a good motor with a BIG impeller to move the volume of air needed, but once you do that, I think the cyclone is the way to go, the dust clean up is dead easy too.

Sorry I have to run now, but please ask more questions if you need be.

9 fingers is right about the removing heated/cooled air from your shop, that can get expensive.

Cheers!

druster":nvcyir68 said:
looking for a new extract myself and am interested in the cyclones, there is a uk distributer of the oneida systems, seem v pricey to me though,!

Who/where is the UK distributer and how much? Maybe they sell parts seperatley?

Hi All,

Oneida-air are advertising in uk woodworking magazines, I tried to call them and got the answerphone...No return call and the website link is dead.

Maybe they are just testing the water by the interest they get ?

CNC Paul

I sent an email to their us site asking for distributors info and I received a pack in the post with contacts price list etc the web address is www.oneida-air.co.uk
telephone number is 01473 827518
address is oneida air systems ltd, 31 wilson rd, hadleigh , suffolk, ip7 5ru
the 2hp super dust gorrila is 1253.73 not including shipping, portable version is 1481.68 and the dust deputy shop vacuum attachment is 149.95
they are only starting to ship this autumn.
all of the ducting parts seem fairly reasonable though, the only variable i don't know is shipping costs.

Hi Druster

This is from their US site.

2Hp Super Dust Gorilla System - XGK020105
Base System Price: $966.60 + shipping that = £483.20....Welcome to rip off Britian @ £1253.7.

CNC Paul

i wonder what the shipping and taxes would be if you ordered it from their us site?
probably still be a better price!

I've just had an email from the UK distributor. The UK price is £1067+vat for the Super Dust Gorilla. It's in stock. The price takes into account the extra cost of shipping, taxes etc and apparently has a larger motor. It's still a bit steep for my purse but it may be a sign that cyclones will become widely available in the UK. Here's hoping.

Latest posts

Back