Dust collector size for ducting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make It All

Reaction score
I am in need of a dust collector to use in my small workshop using 40mm waste pipe as ducting. I have been researching for over a year now and haven't found one yet. So what size dust extractor do I need for use on ducting and were can I get one new in the UK. I am also on a tight budget of a maximum of £400.

Thankyou for your help
Jack

Excuse me if you know all this already - it's not clear from your question.
40mm ducting is just a little greater than the hose of a typical power tool type dust extractor. Is that what you are looking at ?
40mm is much too small for the high volume low pressure type "chip collectors" with a waste sack below and filter bag ballooning from the top. Hobby / light trade versions of these typically need 100mm - 150mm ducting otherwise there's tto much resistance to airflow in the duct, and the fan designed to move large volumes of air at low pressure simply can't move the air through it.
So assuming you're looking for "low volume high pressure" dust extractors that will work perfectly with any kind of tube or ducting around 40-50mm, there are many to choose from. The camvac devices have a metal canister with one or two vacuum cleaner motors in the lid, some of the the Nilfisk aero and attix extractors are inside your budget, a metabo ASR25L would work, new or used Fein and Festool machines, Bosch GAS35, or an economical choice for a very small shop would be a numatic commercial vacuum like the Henry, George, etc models. I think that you have a lot of options within your budget.

My solution to a similar problem was to buy a used Karcher brand commercial vacuum cleaner. I hook it up to 50mm diameter black hose (used by the folk who raise Koi carp) which runs up and across the workshop ceiling then down to the outlet of my small table saw against the opposite wall.
My reason for this odd but reliable choice is low noise. My machines all have fairly quiet induction motors. I don't want a noisy extractor and don't have space for the bulk of a "chip collector" and it's large hoses. My commercial vacuum is very low noise (59 dB). Most of the quality power tool dust extractors I listed emit 68-70dB noise. In my experience cheap dust extractors are offensively noisy ! If you have a planer / jointer then 40mm ducting is just too small to move the large volumes of air these machines need. If you're using saws, routers, power tools, sanders then any of my suggestions should work for you.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have just bought a Rutland high filtration extractor for £58. Going to try that on 50mm pipe.
Thanks
Jack

I think the Rutland machine should work fine on your 40-50mm pipe :) It is more suited to the small bore pipe than to the big 100mm inlet. It looks like a good value choice.
If you do use it with such as a planing machine and want to use the bigger size hose, I recommend that you connect your Rutland extractor directly to the machine by a shortish length of 100mm flex hose. I wouldn't use it with 100mm ducting in between. It will have good suction through a small hose but won't move enough air to keep a long length of larger ducting clean. Best wishes

Thank you for your reply I will do this if I get a planer! (When I've saved up enough money :p )
Great to know that I've got this help here if I need it!
Jack

Back