Drying out cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipper7657

Reaction score
I've been given a significant amount of cherry. How long will it take to dry and be usable for turning and other projects. Its currently on cardboard on my garage floor.

Is it logs or planks? Rule of thumb for air drying planks is 1year/inch thickness - sticker it up so you get air flow all around it. You will need to monitor it properly though for moisture content. If you have logs and you turn bowls aren't they generally rough-turned while green, sealed and left to dry? A proper turner will no doubt confirm this.

I've been given a significant amount of cherry. How long will it take to dry and be usable for turning and other projects. Its currently on cardboard on my garage floor.

There is a link to basic wood drying for turning in the turning section Help Sticky.
Or you can go Directly to it Here

Cherry is notoriously difficult to dry without splitting, the slower you can dry it out, think years not months in log form the better.
The alternates are to at least partially prepare it by splitting logs down the centre or slabbing it, slow drying is still the priority.

If you’re turning it you could turn it now wet if you like, you can turn it part seasoned or wait till it’s dried that’s the beauty of wood turning.
As has been said a general guide is 1 year per 1inch drying, I tend to to turn semi seasoned wood, roughing out a basic shape then leaving it to do any moving & drying out then re-turn to a finished shape.

Latest posts

Back