Drunk pilot?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp_14mC9nMA

This is a video of a stunt pilot who, in real life, is a Delta Airlines pilot. His act at air shows is to pretend that he is a drunken spectator who rushes from the stands and jumps into a Piper Cub and takes off without any understanding of how to fly a plane.
The Piper Cub is actually specifically built to withstand an enormous amount of stress and has a very powerful engine.
This type of stunt is actually the most dangerous of air show acts, because of the low altitude at which the pilot performs.
Obviously, this pilot possesses unbelievable skill.
Check out the landing at the end - that is special!!!

Jonzjob":25a70zgl said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp_14mC9nMA

This is a video of a stunt pilot who, in real life, is a Delta Airlines pilot. His act at air shows is to pretend that he is a drunken spectator who rushes from the stands and jumps into a Piper Cub and takes off without any understanding of how to fly a plane.
The Piper Cub is actually specifically built to withstand an enormous amount of stress and has a very powerful engine.
This type of stunt is actually the most dangerous of air show acts, because of the low altitude at which the pilot performs.
Obviously, this pilot possesses unbelievable skill.
Check out the landing at the end - that is special!!!
That is one talented pilot!!! :shock:

I hope that he don't fly his Delta Jet aircraft like it! :shock:

What I can't fathom out is how did he decide to do some of the things he does and how did he find out that they worked, or not! If you stall an aircraft at that sort of altitude you have to be VERY sure it's got enough room to pull out, especially if the bloody thing is vertical when it stalls!

Jonzjob":k8vff8jt said:
I hope that he don't fly his Delta Jet aircraft like it! :shock:

What I can't fathom out is how did he decide to do some of the things he does and how did he find out that they worked, or not! If you stall an aircraft at that sort of altitude you have to be VERY sure it's got enough room to pull out, especially if the bloody thing is vertical when it stalls!

Try it first at a greater altitude?

BugBear

It's a great pity that someone like him wasn't there to help this lot?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13572569

I am an ex R.A.F. aircraft eleky/instrument fitter and the airspeed kit was part of my job for 12 years. If it was the pitot that caused the crash then I am at a total loss as to why. The pitot head has to be one of the oldest things on an aircraft from before WW1 and why it may still be in a position to cause such an accident is totally beyond me? The next time I burn my hand on a pitot head will not be the first. They get hot enough on the ground to take the skin off your hand in a second or so! For one to ice up in the air it must have been very exceptional circumstances!

If you are interested then click on this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/news/world-euro ... 011.en.pdf . It's the cockpit recorder. Why they tried to pull the nose up in a stall situation may become clear, but for me, now, totally confusing?

A stall is caused by the wrong angle of attack of the wings at too low speed. Pull the nose up, the angle increases and the speed decreases? I will be watching with interst.

Very strange that they would have pulled the nose up. I could see getting stall warnings if there was shear in the turbulence. I've had that happen in a C172 when I was flying it. Still, I knew the plane was not in an attitude in which a stall would be likely and continued to flyas level as I could hold the plane. Of course I was flying in VFR conditions and not on instruments. Seems like the flight crew on board that flight may not have used all of the information they had available to make decisions about the status of the plane.

Some years ago a Northwest Airlines DC-9(MD-80) crashed at Detroit. It was determined that the crew had not set the flaps to the normal position for take off. They then tried to fly the plane off using the V speeds for the flaps in take off position. They got the plane into the air and tried to force it to climb but didn't have the required speed. they ended up perform a low altitude stall and made an unplanned low pass through a car rental office.

They set up flight simulators to match the conditions at the time of the accident and had pilots try to get it in the air without crashing. The only pilot to do so was an old guy who had loads of hours in small, underpowered aircraft. He was able to recognize that the thing wasn't going fast enough to climb at the normal rate and instead of trying to drag thing up, he put the nose down a bit and let the speed build.

I don't think anything can compensate for experience.

jonzjob...the pitot head on Airbus has been the subject of many discussions, and there was a mandatory update recently IIRC but which was not done on one Airbus that nearly crashed. It's all there on www.pprune.org if you search airbus and pitot heads.

The Airbus Inertial and Data Reference System is quite complex and takes information from many sources. Just for info there are 3 pitots, 6 static ports and 2 True Air Temperature sensors that collect data that are then sent to computers.That night there was an extended area of thunderstorms over the ocean between South America and Africa. Every aircraft that night made large deviations to avoid that area....except...yes, except Air France. Overflying a big thunderstorm over the ocean, at that latitude, is very dangerous. Lightnings and hail are projected upwards and turbulence is heavy.

Why this accident happened? Hard to say at the moment, but for sure there are many issues relating to human factor aspects. We'll see next year, when the final report will be published.

I remember that after that accidents all the pilots flying A320/A330 in Alitalia were trained to fly the aircraft in unreliable speed conditions. Not an easy thing to do.

Back to the video, that is an hyper-skilled pilot but don't forget that those manouvers require a lot of training and high discipline.

If you are interested on pilots life take a look here... :D

Luca

John thanks for posting that link, very amusing, and others have said that guy must be one heck of a good pilot.

Latest posts

Back