Drum Sander Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a senior drum sander off ebay a while back and have never got on brilliantly with it. I think the supports for the conveyor belt bed may have been damaged in transit and consequently the bed is not completely parallel to the rollers.

I've managed to get it pretty close but am about to use some 1.5mm veneer and want to run the pieces through the sander first to smooth off the underside. Consequently I need to align the bed to a higher degree of accuracy than I have. Does anyone have any suggestion of how I might do this perfectly?

Many thanks

Noddy, it's been a few years since I used a Senior, but from memory it was only the second roller that was user adjustable, the first roller was fixed. This stuck in my memory as the workshop concerned only used the second roller and cranked the first roller up because it was inaccurate and couldn't be easily adjusted! Having said that the second roller could be adjusted to a nicety with a threaded adjuster at each end, and despite only being a single drum it was a cracking machine that delivered impeccable results. Drum sanders are funny machines, I've worked in workshops that had huge industrial wide belt sanders and in my own workshop I've only got a single drum SuperMax, but no matter what the machine once you get them sorted they really do have a way of becoming indispensable!

Thanks Custard. It seems that its quite often you that is able to help answer my questions. Much appreciated.

Bizarrely the loading on the front dollar ripped today so I will be trying your idea of just running paper on one wheel and see if I can improve things again.

Now I just need to move the thing across my workshop and its very heavy indeed so if anyone is feeling strong in the Tonbridge area and fancies giving me a hand...

Back