Drilling End Grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr9999

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am new to wood working and am after some help if possible.

Using my new lathe I have turned some nice bits of mahogany recently. I am trying to make three cylindrical candle holders that will be used to hold tealight candles in the top. Each candle is to be countersunk into the top of the cylinder of mahogany.

I have turned the cylinders of mahogany no problem. However the trouble comes when trying to make the hole to take the tealight candle, which is a depth of approx 15mm and diameter of approx 40mm.

Please could someone tell me the best way to do this - should I try to use some form of hole cutting drill bit, even though it is end grain, or should I try to somehow bore the hole using a chisel on the lather? Or perhaps some other method that I haven't even thought of.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.

I use a parting tool to hollow out for tealights. I suppose you could try chucking up a forstner bit or spade bit in the tailstock, but I am unsure as to how clean the hole would be.

Many thanks Simon, I will give that a try. What would be the best way to hold it on the lathe, bearing in mind that the largest candle holder is about 150mm length and 100mm diameter. Should I use the chuck that allows me to screw the piece to the headstock? I would imagine this would be quite unstable when it gets going. I suppose I could steady it with the pointy bit at the other end (apologies for technical language!) or is there a better way?

Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

If you use 'the pointy bit' then I would suggest using a live centre (this spins with the workpiece and prevents and heat build up). Turn the recess for the candle, but leave the bit right at the middle where the live centre is supporting the workpiece. Then take the piece of the lathe and knock the bit in the centre off with a sharp chisel. If you are supporting the workpiece with the tailstock, then you could just use an ordinary drive centre.

That's brilliant Simon, many thanks. I shall give it a go this weekend. It is for a birthday present so I need to finish them by Tuesday.

Thanks again.

Michael

Welcome to the forum,Michael. :D
Don't forget to pop in to the "woodturning" section - we're a friendly bunch,and like to see pictures of peoples work :wink:

Andrew

mgr9999":1ynnhtyw said:
..... the largest candle holder is about 150mm length and 100mm diameter. Should I use the chuck that allows me to screw the piece to the headstock?
A good screw chuck would hold that size fine, just make sure the piece is screwed up firm against your chuck back plate/jaws etc.

suppose I could steady it with the pointy bit at the other end.
That is not possible if you are going to drill it :!:

You should be able to cut the endgrain socket with a sharp parting tool if you are confident in its use.

EDIT:
sDSC02007.JPG

Although this is a larger diameter piece the socket cutting with a parting tool is the same.

The alternate is to use a saw edge forstner bit in a jacobs chuck mounted in your tailstock, even a spade bit at a pinch but spade bits don't like end grain and get rather warm.

Many thanks for your help, that's great.

I have now made the candle holders by using a parting tool as suggested, and they look great!

Many thanks for your help.

Michael

Latest posts

Back