Drill speeds for wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a bench drill press from lidl and I,m not sure of the best speed to set the drill.
I'll be drilling mainly wood with normal drill bits, occasional Forstner or spade bits and the odd hole cutter to make a couple of sanding spindles to use in the drill press.

Is there a set speed suitable for all the above or will I have to keep changing the speed for each use?

On my cheap little 5 speed pillar drill, I use second fastest speed with smaller brad point drills (say up to 6mm). The slower speeds with forstner bits and sanding drums.
Despite their larger diameters, I find flat bits cut much better at higher speeds.

In general faster with smaller bits but not real fast, relieve the drill every few seconds as the drill will become hot, block the flutes then snap the drill, this is for hardwoods.
Always the bigger the drill, auger, hole saw slower, especially for hole saws they become very hot.
Always clamp the work piece in some way, things go wrong here the results can become very painfull even a hospital trip.

Back