Drill press problem !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joesoap

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi lads
My little wee trusty benchtop drill has taken a turn for the worse . Never been a problem until today well ,,,,, the chuck fell off in mid drilling mode . No hint of any problem , it just fell off and there is no way that I can see how it was held in the first place .

There is no keyway on the spindle /quill and all I can see is like a circlip milling at the very top which the chuck (original btw ) is in perfect nick does not reach , impossible due to the taper . . Phoned the helpline to find that it's a B & Q job who kindly mailed me a pdf exploded sketch but I can't make much of it . All suggestions would be appreciated but no I'm not 'chucking' it . Cheers !
ps Well not just yet !

Hiya. I find these weird, too. It isn't broken, they're just a press fit.
It's why operations requiring lateral pressure aren't recommended for a drill press.
I just close the chuck, wiggle it in and then press into a scrap board over the table.
Expect a more expert response shortly... :)

Hi Joe,

The chuck will just fit on the taper, the friction from the fit of the tapered shaft into the tapered socket is all that holds it in place. I know it sounds a bit odd but that is the way most of then are done.
So you need to wind the jaws back into the chuck, clean both parts, use meths or WD40, wipe with a non fluffy rag, fit back in place and with a block of wood on the bed press down on it to get the chuck to stick in place.
I had this happen on one of my drills, took 3 goes to get it to stay on, then when I got a better chuck for it I struggled to get the old one off again. :roll:

It's probably just held in by the friction on the taper, this is the norm. Just give it a good clean and shove it back in nice and firmly, an easy way to do this is to open up the chuck to wind the jaws back in out of harms way, put a block of wood under it and then press everything together by winding the column down. Brute force isn't needed, if it doesn't stay in like this you may have damage or dirt on one of the mating sufaces.

edit:
Doh, beaten by the boys - must learn to type faster :roll:

Hey Thanks to the three of you lads . That's great news and I just did'nt think that was the way of it and being unanimous it has to work . So a clean and a careful squeeze cum dunt should do the trick . Much appreciated , will get to it . Cheers !

Same thing happened to me. My pal Glen came round and I was complaining that my drill had broken, he just shoved the chuck back on and whacked it with a piece of wood. Never a moment's trouble from the drill again. Can't say the same for Glen...

THat's it , job done and dusted and holding well . A bit of a clean , w d . a good squeeze , a careful dunt and some ram did the trick . Thanks a lot . Cheers !

Spent a good few moments scratching my head when I was assembling mine a few months back. Just couldn't believe that's how they're held on!! I thought I was missing something, but it seems not. :lol:

Latest posts

Back