Drill press mortice attachment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have got an axminster floor standing radial drill press and I was thinking of buying the mortice attachment that axminster sell however it says that my drill would not be compatible.

I have no idea why it would not work with it, do you guys have any ideas?

On another note, has anyone used one of these attachments? What are they like in use?

Cheers,

Adam

It may down to the lack of collar to attach the unit to.

On the query of are they any use, I suspect not. A little googling will not produce many fans.

I had one ( still do buried somewhere in a deep dark corner) and to be honest it was a total waste of money.

A few years back I had a mortice attachment and it was so awful I ditched it, a dedicated morticer, a router and fence or a few forstner bits and chisels is the way to go.

The one I had never fitted properly despite the claim it would and on a couple of occasions it became loose - this was when I was "plunging down" into the work which takes some effort in doing (more than you might think). Coupled with alignment issues, a lengthy setup time, and tying the drill press up for one function only it just wasn't worth it.

I had one too.

Yes, it worked, technically. In every practical respect it was a complete PITA to set up and use. I gave it away.

I now have a small Axminster mortiser for major repetitive work, which has a drill chuck. It's a handy drill press when not mortising, although it has limitations - reach and depth mainly - but it's fast for actual mortices.

I'm starting to hand-cut them more now, too. In softwood that's faster than you might think. You still have to mark out machine-made ones anyway, and it saves the setup time. I think the machine is good for unusual sizes and big, deep mortices, but hand cutting is both fast and as accurate as the machine I have.

E.

Slightly different beast, but Arcoy (anyone remember them?) made a dedicated attachment for their drill stand and it worked a treat; did 1/2" mortices in an oak gate without a blink, using an adapted B&D trade-rated drill in the stand.

'course, that was in the day when Britain made tools...............

I had one of those attachments, I gave it away and got this.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back