Drill bits with countersink?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I am confused.
This shows a number 6 drill. OK. Long time back I used No 6 screws. I don't think I've ever used a No 6 drill. This chart confuses me
even more.
What sized hole - metric please - will a number 6 drill make?

Now I am confused.
This shows a number 6 drill. OK. Long time back I used No 6 screws. I don't think I've ever used a No 6 drill. This chart confuses me
even more.
What sized hole - metric please - will a number 6 drill make?

I would guess it means it drills a hole that a No 6 screw will thread in to? It think the drill is 2.4mm, the modern equivalent to a No 6 screw is a 3.5mm screw.

The biggest one says 3.2mm drill and No 10 screw, I would guess against the other 2 they have wrongly written drill instead of screw?

I would guess it means it drills a hole that a No 6 screw will thread in to? It think the drill is 2.4mm, the modern equivalent to a No 6 screw is a 3.5mm screw.

The biggest one says 3.2mm drill and No 10 screw, I would guess against the other 2 they have wrongly written drill instead of screw?
But clearance? For thread? Unclear is a fair description Doug?
Bad page data makes it worse?

Oddly the 'clarifying' pages don't help!

I would say the Fisch ones are used to drill a pilot hole not a clearance hole. When I use them I normally have the drill bit pulled as far back as possible into the countersink so it doesn't snap then drill through with a larger bit after for a clearance hole, the small bit on the countersink just helps to keep it straight as they are often used for quite deep countersinks that you can put a wood plug in. I recently bought a heavier duty Trend one that does clearance holes.

Here are 2 I have, both Trend. The smaller one is probably equivalent to the Fisch, about a 2.5mm bit, drills a pilot hole and a 3/8" plug hole. The bigger one has a 5mm bit so drills a clearance hole and a 1/2" plug hole. You can see that the 5mm one is much heavier duty.

countersinks.jpg

I do like the Trend ones as they're pretty versatile... when you buy the extra bits for them like the countersink limiter for consistent depth:
16098769325308362194964750266135.jpg

They can burnish the material if you're heavy handed with them (and the hole cutter does fill up with dust) but they also do a slightly adjustable depth stop with bearings for such times:

16098772009107451388138070144388.jpg

Latest posts

Back