Download problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryc

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help please? (Warning I am a computer illiterate)
My computer running Windows XP crashed and had to be deloused. Everything seemed OK when it returned but when I tried to reload Paint.net and Sketch Up which were lost I find I have troubles. Naturally my first thought was to blame B****y Bill Gates and the Severn Nerds but it might be something else.
I have put in Net Framework 3.5 and Installer 3.1 but still can't download the two programs I need. Apart from commiting computer rage what else should I do.

Jerry

Have you done all your windows updates or just the ones you specified?

When i recently reloaded my pc i found a few things wouldn't work until i had gone through the whole update process.

When you say you cannot download the 2 programs do you mean that you are trying to pull them from an internet site?

If so have you tried to download anything else and was it successful?

What anti virus did you use to "delouse" your system?

What firewall do you use and is it allowing downloads?

Raggy,
Al updates are auto.

Tony

My firewalls are
Microsoft
AVG 8
Malwarebytes antimalware
spybot search and destroy

As to how crashed disc was cleaned i can't answer as it was done by a repair firm

I have downloaded one or two jpegs but no programs othe than attempting to get these two from the net.
In the case of Paint.net I tried two different downlaod sites without success.

Jerry

jerryc":3v18cg5g said:
My firewalls are
Microsoft
AVG 8
Jerry
It is bad practice to run 2 firewalls this could be the reason you are having download problems - assuming that you are using AVG version with built in firewall.

If this is the case then first disable the windows firewall goto Control Panel select Windows firewall and select "off" in the general tab. You will get a warning balloon in the sys tray - just ignore.

Try and download again. If you do not succeed it is possible that AVG blocking and will need some tweaking

Cheers :D
Tony

Tony,

Your advice did the trick. Shut down the Microsoft firewall and BINGO, two downloads. haven't worked with them yet but at a glance paint.net seems to be operative. I've yet to learn how to handle Sketch Up but at least I've got it :D
Jerry

Latest posts

Back