Dovetail saw. Who was Mr Grimes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pedder,

Es ist nicht von Bedeutung, wenn Sie sich den Meister nicht nennen sollten. Wir denken, dass Sie der Meister sind, und das ist wirklich von Bedeutung.

Rücksichten

Excuse my feeble attempt at German. :mrgreen:

John :D

Hallo John

Dein Deutsch ist viel besser als mein Englisch! =D> =D> =D>

Liebe Grüße
Pedder

First time I've tried the Firefox/Google translate (highlight, right click and scroll down to "translate") - works a treat :)

I bet you are very pleased indeed that you accepted Pedder's offer! Problem is I think, there are quite a few nice saws around (ebay etc) but they are variously 'tired', and it takes a really good saw doctor to bring them back. But there are more saws than doctors... and that is a shame. Anyway, you saved one and it looks an absolute gem.

condeesteso":3fn0s2vq said:
I bet you are very pleased indeed that you accepted Pedder's offer! Problem is I think, there are quite a few nice saws around (ebay etc) but they are variously 'tired', and it takes a really good saw doctor to bring them back. But there are more saws than doctors... and that is a shame. Anyway, you saved one and it looks an absolute gem.

Hi Douglas,

I think everyone who going to use western hand saws for a long time, should learn how to sharpen them. Esp. resharpening is easy. Rehabbing missharpened saws is a pain in the ...

to learn sharpening I would suggest to by a cheap new resharpenable saw like the Wiliam Greaves line from Thos. Flin. at 16,5 tpi (at least that was the pitch on my Wiliam Greaves from Dieter Schmid) it is managable to see what your doing and really easy to get good results. Just one stroke per gullet and you get the feeling for the file and the steel.

Once learned sharpening retoothing is simple, too.

On backsaws straigtening is often simple, too. Most of the problems come from a bad sitting of the spine. Put the blade in a front vise (with some panels to save the saw and the vise) and carfully tap the spine a few mm front and back solves a lot of problems.

Roger's saw had a hammer blow from an earlier reparation trial. I tried to hammer that out, but don't get to 100% but 99. One should have training on straight fresh blade material and old beaten up saws before doing that on good saws.

Cheers Pedder

pedder":305ltdee said:
Hallo John

Dein Deutsch ist viel besser als mein Englisch! =D> =D> =D>

Liebe Grüße
Pedder

Danke Pedder,

Ich nahm wirklich Lehren auf Deutsch, aber manchmal muss ich einen On-Line-Übersetzer verwenden.

http: // translation2.paralink.com/

And it's a big help! :D

I am still trying to get my knee working properly. Then I can find those Spear & Jacksons I told you about and photograph them.

Rücksichten

John :)