Double-ended adjustable sliding bevel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I needed to cut some pieces of wood today to fit between some uprights that were not at 90 degrees. I was wondering how to measure these accurately and get the angles right, and came up with the idea of making a double-ended adjustable sliding bevel

Slidingbevel1.jpg

Slidingbevel2.jpg

It worked well :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Looks clever. No idea how it works in practise tho?

Excellent idea Paul - like Philly says, it'd be great for door fitting.

I've been working on some fitted seating in our conservatory - your jig would have saved a lot of cursing and planing when my calculations went wrong!

Cheers

Karl

Very cleaver idea Paul....and, by changing the center (centre ?) horizontal piece, you can adjust it to any length required.

Thanks for sharing
niki

Thanks for your kind comments. I was wondering how to do it when suddenly it came to me when I was thinking of something else. It's really a combination of this

Measuringsticks.jpg

with a sliding bevel on each end.

Obvious once you've thought of it :lol:

Paul

Looks a handy piece of kit Paul.

Athough I am not sure as to how much it would help in hanging doors.Granted it would show any discrepencies between the head and stiles.

As you sometimes have a lot of juggling to do to fit a door, with casing legs being either concave or convex, plus being out of plumb in the overall height.

Heads can also be concave or convex, so your jig would not give the full picture.Others may disagree.

Nevertheless a handy jig with lots of applications.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. I'm making a table with splayed legs so I made the jig specifically to measure the distance between the legs and the angles so that I can cut the cross rails to an exact fit, before cutting the mortices for loose tenons (had to devise a jig for that as well). Once you get away from making things where the joints are at right angles, it raises all sorts of problems - hence the need for one-off jigs.

Paul

Back